The microwave oven is undoubtedly a must-have in the kitchen. Unfortunately, however, with regular use, dirt accumulates on the walls inside the appliance. As well as being displeasing, the layer of grease can in some cases even catch fire. If you too think it’s time to clean your microwave, we have a great hack you can try out right after reading our article. Cleaning microwave with lemon is an effective and completely natural method that’s worth keeping in mind!
Table of Contents
Lemon: An effective home cleaner
The cleaning products that are sold are certainly strong and effective, but they also contain many toxic substances that can cause health problems. This is why more and more people these days are opting for natural cleaning alternatives. And lemon is one of them. It tackles unpleasant smells, breaks down greasy stains, removes limescale from dishes and surfaces, and you can also use it to clean the microwave, as already made clear! Now let’s see exactly how it all works!
Cleaning microwave with lemon hack
Cleaning microwave with lemon is one of the easiest and most effective methods worth trying. Lemon, because of its high acid content, turns out to be a great cleaner and disinfectant (as you have already found out, not only for the microwave, but for many other surfaces and appliances at home). The citrus will help get rid of dirt, but also the unpleasant smell. Now let’s see how to clean your microwave:
What you need:
- 1 lemon
- cold water
- a microwave-safe bowl
- a sponge, cloth or paper towel
- protective gloves
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, fill cold water about halfway.
2. Take the lemon and cut it in half.
3. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the water, then put the fruit inside the bowl as well.
4. Put the bowl in the microwave, close the door and run it on full power for about 5–10 minutes.
5. Then wait another 5 minutes before opening. The water with the lemon will continue to boil and evaporate, which will work to break down the accumulated dirt and residue.
6. Open the microwave door but also put on protective gloves before removing the bowl, so you don’t burn yourself.
7. Use a cloth, sponge or paper towel to clean the inside of the appliance. If there are more stubborn stains, you can further wet them with the acidic water from the bowl and scrub more vigorously.
8. Clean everywhere and don’t forget the door.
9. Enjoy your clean microwave!