Moderate-intensity exercises generally improve quality of life. A woman after the age of 50 should not stop moving and being physically active to keep her body healthy, and it also prevents age-related diseases and brings back a sense of youth. In today’s article, you will find ab exercises for women over 50 that will help you strengthen your abdominal muscles, get rid of excess weight and generally feel better in your skin!
There are several main reasons for the appearance of a belly after 50. Among them are hormonal changes, slow metabolism, lack of exercise, some chronic diseases, unhealthy eating habits, and in some people it is simply a genetic predisposition. Whatever the cause, know that waistline expanding in women after 50 is a very common condition and can be due to many things we have already mentioned. All in all, with a little bit of willpower, a proper balanced diet and the right abdominal exercises, you will surely get satisfactory results and lose weight. And now let’s move on to ab exercises for women over 50!
Basic crunches: the most popular ab exercise
One of the most widespread exercises are basic abdominal crunches. This is no coincidence, because they are super effective, and the results after regular exercises of this type will not be late! Here’s how to do them:
1. Lay an exercise mat on the floor and lie on it on your back. Place your hands behind your head, then bend your knees.
2. Lift your head and shoulder blades off the floor, curving your body forward toward your feet.
3. Your waist, pelvis and feet should remain tightly pressed against the floor.
4. Perform crunches with maximum amplitude until you feel a burning sensation in your upper abdominal muscles.
This classic exercise for abdominal muscles effectively trains and tightens the abdomen.
Four-point kneeling exercise
Our next exercise idea will improve your coordination and balance. Not only will you strengthen your abdomen, but also the muscles of the whole body. When we are looking to tighten one particular part of the body, we shouldn’t just concentrate on it, we need to train the whole body to get good results. That’s why it’s worth trying this exercise at home, here’s how:
1. Stand on all fours, palms under shoulder joints and knees bent at right angles.
2. Begin to synchronously lift the left arm and right leg off the floor. Straighten them, keeping your balance so that they form a straight line with your torso. Hold for a few seconds, then bring them back.
3. Then switch – lift your right arm and left leg, hold again to improve your balance for a few seconds and bring them back to the starting position. Do several repetitions.
Scissors exercise to train your lower abs
We offer you another very nice exercise, where your back will rest, and you will train mainly the abdominal muscles and those of the legs.
1. Stay on your back, lift yourself slightly off the floors and bend your elbows so that your forearm rests on the floor. Straighten your legs.
2. Raise your legs off the floor and begin to cross them, mimicking the work of a pair of scissors.
3. During the exercise, try to keep your legs low to increase the load on your abdominal muscles.
This simple-looking abdominal exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles, activates blood circulation in the lower abdomen and contributes to a beautiful waistline.
Side lying crunches
The next exercise is done in a lying position, with the leg muscles resting and you working predominantly on the abdominal muscles. It is extremely easy to perform, but very effective after constant repetitions. See for yourself, here’s how to do it:
1. Lie on your side.
2. Place your hands behind your head and twist your body backwards towards the exercise mat.
3. From this position, start lifting your body up.
4. Once you have done the required number of repetitions, be sure to turn to the other side, change direction and repeat the exercise to train the other half of your abdominal muscles.
5. During the twist, tense the abdominal muscles to stimulate their action.
This simple abdominal exercise will help you train your problem areas and make your waistline more visible.
Our last abdominal exercise idea will train not only these muscles, but also your entire body (which as we said before, is essential for overall fitness and health). This effective exercise is sure to improve your flexibility and endurance.
1. Lie on your back and place your hands behind your head.
2. Lift your head and upper body and slightly lift your legs.
3. Bend your left leg at the knee and bend your whole body towards it. Your hip and waist are on the floor at all times.
4. Straighten your left leg and bend your right knee, turning your body towards it.
5. Perform this abdominal exercise at a rhythmic pace.