Christmas side dishes: Tasty and easy-to-make sides for your festive Christmas menu!
Christmas is almost here! You’ve probably already wrapped all the presents, and they’re already arranged under the tree. Your home is decorated, and the Christmas spirit can be felt everywhere! All that’s left is to prepare the festive menu! We know that besides the roast turkey, you will have to prepare a lot of Christmas side dishes! That’s why we’ve decided to give you some great ideas that we’re sure you and your guests will love!
Table of Contents
Easy and delicious Christmas side dishes
If you still haven’t decided on what to cook this Christmas, we’ve come up with some unique and easy to make side dish recipes. You don’t necessarily have to spend long and tiring hours in the kitchen on the holiday, since there are quick and very tasty ideas worth trying! We’re sure everyone will love them! Just remember that besides the food, it’s good to decorate the table beautifully and festively with candles, twigs and pine cones, for example! Now let’s get started with our suggestions for side dishes!
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Our first idea for a tasty and easy side dish involves Brussels sprouts! Add bacon, and you have a great mix of flavors that will satisfy even the most discerning palate! Here’s how to make it:
- 3 lb (1 ½ kg) Brussels sprouts
- 200 g smoked bacon
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts and cut out the cobs.
- Boil the sprouts until tender in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into thin slices. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon until golden. Add the sprouts and continue cooking together for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt, pour lemon juice and stir.
Prepare a delicious parsnip dish by adding white miso and maple syrup. This is the perfect side dish for Christmas dinner!
- 2 lb (800-900g) parsnips
- 5 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large saucepan and put the sliced parsnips in for 5 minutes to soften. Then drain and steam-dry for another 10 minutes.
- Put oil in a large roasting tray and leave it in the oven.
- Place the parsnips in a bowl and add the miso, maple syrup and spices of your choice. Stir.
- Remove the tray from the oven and pour over the parsnips, coating them well in the oil. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden.
Christmas pasta salad
Add an Italian touch to your Christmas dinner with a fresh pasta salad. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and it’s just delicious! Boil the pasta in salted water. Put another large pot of water and salt on the stove. When the water boils, put the broccoli in and cook for 5-6 minutes. Prepare a bowl full of ice and cold water and plunge them in immediately after you take them out of the boiling water. Drain well. Mix the pasta and broccoli in a large bowl and add sun-dried tomatoes, baby mozzarella balls, salt, a few teaspoons of lemon juice and pesto sauce!
Green beans almondine
Our next dish is also extremely easy to prepare, doesn’t take much time, yet is very tasty and involves only a few ingredients! It’s green beans almondine!
- 1 pound (450 g) green beans (trim the ends)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the green beans in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Put them under cold water after that and drain well.
- On high heat, melt butter in a pan and add the almonds. Cook them until golden for about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly to medium and add the garlic and onion and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the green beans, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir everything well and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then serve!
More tasty ideas
We have prepared many more delicious ideas for Christmas side dishes! Some of them are classic, others are something that will surprise your guests. We’ve also included a suggestion for using an air-fryer, as it’s a very reliable appliance that shouldn’t be ingnored!
We suggest you prepare a classic side dish. Roast cauliflower with butter and spices of your choice and finally add grated parmesan or other hard cheese!
Mashed sweet potatoes
Why not do the traditional Christmas mash, but use sweet potatoes? Once cooked and mashed, add butter, heavy cream, fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme or bay leaves), salt and pepper. So easy, and so delicious!
Creamy mac and cheese
Another great side dish that everyone loves is mac and cheese! Make your favorite creamy and buttery macaroni with several types of cheese (cheddar, Parmesan or Gruyere, for example)! Everyone will be impatient to try them!
Classic cranberry sauce
For the classic cranberry sauce you only need water, sugar and, of course, cranberries. Optionally you can add nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice or raisins. Wash the cranberries first, then boil water and sugar. Add the cranberries. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes. You can then add your choice of additives, if any, or serve it like this. That’s it!
Other simple and tasty suggestions
Roasted carrots with spices and almonds
Creamy corn casserole
Brie stuffed mushrooms
Broccoli and wild rice casserole
Air-fryer roast butternut squash
Mini Yorkshire puddings with horseradish cream and roast beef