For those who live in a hot and dry area, and wish to reduce the water usage, having drought tolerant flowers on their balcony makes a really smart choice. These plants have the ability to survive without frequent watering, and endure not only dry conditions, but high temperatures, and keep their fresh look. What’s more, most of the species bloom in colorful flowers that decorate the front of the house in a lovely way. In this article, we will discuss what drought tolerant balcony plants are, which ones of them to choose and how to take care of them.
Table of Contents
What are Drought Tolerant Plants and How to Grow Them?
Drought tolerant plants have adapted to survive in areas with low rainfalls and high temperatures. That’s why, they have developed mechanisms to conserve water, such as deep roots, thick leaves, and the ability to close their leaf pores during the hottest part of the day. Growing drought tolerant plants on your balcony is easy as long as you follow these tips:
- Choose the right soil. Use well-draining soil that doesn’t retain water for too long. Mix it with some sand or perlite to increase drainage.
- Water properly. While drought tolerant plants don’t need frequent watering, they still need to be watered deeply. This means soaking the soil until water starts to seep out from the drainage holes.
- Provide enough sunlight. Most drought resistant plants require full sunlight to thrive. Make sure your balcony gets at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Fertilize sparingly. Drought tolerant plants don’t require as much fertilizer as other plants. Use a balanced fertilizer once a month during the growing season.
Which Drought Tolerant Balcony Plants to Choose?
It’s a matter of your personal taste what choice to make, whether it will be an aromatic plant or one that is covered with flowers, or something else. Here are some of the most popular drought resistant balcony plants for growing on your balcony:
- Succulents. They are some of the most popular drought tolerant plants, and for good reason. Succulents come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can store water in their leaves, which makes them perfect for hot and dry conditions.
- Cacti. Cacti have the ability to store water not only in their leaves, but in the stems also, and this they do even better than succulents. Cacti enjoy us with their interesting structures and forms, and some even produce astonishing flowers.
- Lavender. This fragrant herb is not only drought tolerant, but lavender attracts bees and butterflies to your balcony. It needs full sunlight and well-draining soil to thrive.
Best Drought Tolerant Balcony Plants for Hanging Baskets
Hanging baskets are a great way to add some greenery to your balcony without taking up too much space. They embellish the facade of the home or the flat, where you live. Here are some of the best drought tolerant plants for hanging baskets:
- String of pearls. This succulent has long, trailing stems with small, bead-like leaves. It looks beautiful in a hanging basket and is very easy to care for.
- Spider plant. The plant produces long, arching stems with small spider-like leaves. It can bear to be neglected for a short period and is perfect for beginners.
- Petunias. These colorful flowers are drought tolerant and can grow well in hanging baskets. They need full sunlight and well-draining soil to thrive.
Best Drought Tolerant Balcony Plants that Need Direct Sunlight
If your balcony is situated in a way that it’s sun lit most of the day’s hours, then these plants will thrive there. Here are some of the best plants for balcony with direct sunlight, which do not need much water:
- Aloe vera. This succulent not only looks beautiful, but also has a lot of health benefits. Aloe vera can be used to soothe sunburns and cuts, and is also superb for purifying the air. The plant requires well-draining soil and doesn’t need frequent watering.
- Bougainvillea. It is a drought tolerant balcony plant, which produces colorful and bright flowers. Bougainvillea can grow well in hot and dry conditions. You should provide the plant with a full sunlight and well-draining soil to thrive.
- Geranium. The plant blooms in a variety of colorful flowers and can handle hot and dry conditions. Geranium requires full sunlight and well-draining soil to flourish well.
Which Drought Tolerant Balcony Plant is the Best for You?
Which plant is best for growing on your balcony depends on your needs and preferences. If you want a low maintenance plant that doesn’t require frequent watering, then a succulent or cactus might be your good choice. When you prefer some color and fragrance, lavender or geranium might be the better ones to grow. Whether you want a plant that can also be used for medicinal purposes, in this case aloe vera may be the best option.