Summer is getting closer, and along with the warm weather and the colorful landscapes, come the insects, and of course, that flies… They become a problem for the gardeners, nature lovers, and for all who appreciates spending time outside. And there is a reason for this! Flies are not only annoying, but also carry germs and bacteria that can make you sick. While there are many traps for these unwanted insects, available on the market, they may be expensive, and you’ve probably found some to be ineffective. The good news is that you can make your own ones in no time, which really work and will cost you nothing. In this article, you will be introduced to some of the best homemade fly traps for outside and show you how to make them.
Table of Contents
How Do You Make an Outdoor Fly Trap?
Homemade fly traps are an effective and natural way to keep your living spaces free of flies. You can create them in no time, using simple ingredients and materials, which are both effective and affordable.
Plastic Bottle Trap
Next time, when drinking your coca-cola, you should think before to trow the empty bottle in the garbage tin. As it can serve perfectly as a trap for outdoor flies. This simple device is so easy to be made, and, what is more important, it really works! Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make a homemade fly trap for outside from a plastic bottle:
- Gather the materials: Take an empty plastic bottle, scissors, a piece of string, sugar, water, and some vinegar.
- Cut off the top of the bottle: Perform this with sharp scissors. The cut should be made about a third of the way down the bottle.
- Turn the top part upside down: It should be turned down and placed inside the bottom part of the bottle. The top part will act as a funnel, directing the flies into the trap.
- Mix together sugar, water, and vinegar: These substances should be in equal parts. Pour the mixture into the bottom of your device.
- Tie a piece of string: It should be tied around the neck of the bottle.
- Hang it outside. Choose a shady spot near your door or in the garden.
This is another effective homemade device that catches flies with ease. To make the trap, you will need some cardboard, some glue, and a piece of string. Here are the steps how to do homemade fly traps for outside from paper:
- Cut the cardboard into strips: It’s also possible to use a thick paper, instead.
- Coat the strips with a layer of glue: The layer should be thin. Allow it to dry.
- Punch a hole in each strip: The hole should be at the top of the strip.
- Tie a string through the hole: Tie there one side of the string.
- Hang the strips outside: Choose a shady spot to place them.
The flies will be attracted to the glue and get stuck to the paper.
Bowl (Jar) Trap
You can easily make a homemade fly traps for outside using jars or a bowls. To assemble a device, you will need also a wrap, made from plastic, and a rubber band. Here is the way how to make a bowl (jar) trap:
- Mix sugar, water, and apple cider vinegar.
- Fill the jar or the bowl with this mixture.
- Cover it with plastic wrap.
- Fix it in place with a rubber band.
- Poke a few holes in the wrap.
The flies will be attracted to the mixture and then get trapped under the plastic wrap.
What is the Best Fly Bait for Outside?
When it comes to choosing the best bait for your homemade fly traps for outside, there are various options. However, some of them may appear to be more effective depending on the place, the weather conditions and other factors. Here are some of the best fly baits for outside:
- Sugar: Flies love it as it’s sweet, and attractive to them.
- Vinegar: With its strong smell, this substance successfully invites flies.
- Fruit: Ripe or rotting fruit is a favorite food for the annoying flying creatures.
- Honey: This is a sweet substance, which they can’t resist.
- Meat: If you are trying to catch large flies or horse ones, using raw meat as a bait can be effective.
Will Vinegar Get Rid of Flies Outside?
Vinegar is a common household ingredient that can be applied to repel or kill flies. While it is used as a bait in your trap to attract these annoying creatures, it is not a foolproof way to get rid of them. Pouring this smelling substance alone in your outdoor catching device may not be the most effective solution against flies, and it won’t eliminate them completely. Therefore, try using a mixture of sugar, water, and vinegar as a bait, which is an ideal way to attract flies to your trap and keep them there.
You may watch on the following video an example of making a bottle fly catcher:
Read also: Plants That Keep Away Flies: What Herbs and Flowers to Grow to Help Get Rid of Them?