How to do cat eyeliner: The best way to achieve gorgeous cat eyes!
Ever since the time of the Egyptian queens, women have used the “cat eye” makeup technique. This way they knocked out men with just one look! Is there a woman who doesn’t dream about this? Cat eye is a bold, stunning, and mysterious effect that visually makes the eye appear narrower and elongated. Let’s find out what the technique is! In this article, we’ll take a detailed look at how to do cat eyeliner, and also how to achieve the cat eye effect using essential products like eyeshadows!
Table of Contents
How to do cat eyeliner step by step?
The “cat eye” can be used as evening makeup for special occasions, but also as everyday makeup. In both cases, your beautiful eyes will attract many admiring glances at you. However, for such makeup to be suitable in any situation, it is important to choose the right colors and products. We will further talk about this below. Now, let’s examine closely the most basic steps in creating the cat-eye effect, with an emphasis on how to apply eyeliner correctly and what other products you should use!
1. Eyeshadow base
To improve the durability of eyeshadow, it is necessary to use an eyeshadow base. Among its main purposes are that it increases the durability of the eyeshadow, prevents the eyeshadow from smudging and collecting in the crease of the eyelid, and also enhances the color pigment. In addition, the base also acts as a protective layer between the skin and the eyeshadow – it adheres to the skin but doesn’t dry it out!
To achieve the cat eye effect, you need to use three shades of eyeshadow of the same color: light, medium and dark. Start with a medium shade: use a medium-colored eyeshadow on the eyelid. To do this, start applying it with a brush from the middle of the eyelid and blend it towards the outer corner. Accent with lighter shadow by placing it on the inner corner of the lid and under the highest point of the eyebrow. To create the effect of depth, place a dark shadow in the outer corner and in the crease of the eyelid. Blend the shadow in a circular motion from the outside inward.
The use of eyeliner is extremely important to achieve the “cat eye” effect. The illusion of an elongated eye cannot be achieved better with any other product. That is why many women choose this exact technique. Here’s how to make a perfect cat eye in a few easy steps:
- Start by filling in the area underneath your top lash line, so you don’t lose any space there. The trick is to look fuller and darker.
- Then you should create the cat eye or the wing. You should not pull the skin up when doing the eyeliner. It is very likely that you will completely mess up the shape. Just look down.
- One way to do the cat eyeliner is to imagine your lower eyelash line was to continue on the same trajectory – this is the line you’re going for. Another way to do this is to put a brush at the corner of your nose to the corner of your eye – you will see the same trajectory. You can use eye shadow and an angled brush to roughly depict the shape.
- Carefully create a small triangle on the outer edge – the smaller, the better! Start with small movements, as you don’t want to rush too quickly and mess things up. If you make small movements, you can gradually increase the thickness as needed. Try to keep it shallow on top.
- Cleaning your eyelids. If the shape is a little crooked, you can always use a cotton swab or concealer to fix it. Go for a nice, clean and sharp edges!
It’s up to you to curl your lashes – we highly recommend it! Apply some mascara, starting with the lower lashes first and then continuing with the upper lashes. You can apply two layers to make the look even more striking!
If you followed the steps correctly, you should already be enjoying beautiful cat eye makeup and a sensual look. Be ready for a lot of attention and compliments!
How to choose the right eyeshadow color?
Now it’s time to get acquainted in more detail with the most important nuances in creating such contemporary and trendy makeup so that it suits our individual features, in particular, according to the color of your eyes.
Brown or gray eyes:
If your eyes are brown or gray, it’s best to use darker shades from your palette – mostly black and brown colors. You can experiment with the length of your eyeliner – a longer one will make your eyes even more expressive and defined!
Blue or green eyes:
If you have blue or green eyes, you can use any shade as long as it’s not blue, green, or any other bright color from your eyeshadow palette. Aim for more natural colors, and you could even try a glitter eyeshadow – it would look great! You’re one of the lucky ones who can experiment with the thickness of your eyeliner too – you can try thinner or thicker, either way you’ll look great!
We’ve pulled out the common mistakes made when creating cat makeup, so you can avoid them when you decide to do it.
- You should look down or completely close your eyes when applying eyeliner. Only in this way will you get the desired cat look.
- Women with narrower eyes should draw thicker lines with the eyeliner, and those with rounded eyes – thinner and elongated.
- It is best to use a cosmetic pencil for the lower eyelid, especially in the area of the mucous membrane.
- The eyeliner should be placed after the eye shadow. Otherwise, there is a high chance that you will have to redo your makeup again, or it will not last long!
- Take your time! Getting perfect results will definitely take time. By all means, don’t start doing cat eye makeup if you don’t have a little time to spare, or you’re in a hurry! Whether you can afford to be late is another matter!