How to Clean Yellow uPVC Windows and Make Them White Again?
New uPVC windows have an attractive white color, but plastic may turn yellow over time. How to clean yellow uPVC windows and return their original appearance? We have 4 simple methods that will help you whiten the frames and windowsills.
If you remove dirt, dust and yellowness accumulated on plastic windows in a timely manner, their service life will increase significantly. The comfort and health of the family will be preserved. After all, yellow stains, dirt and dust not only spoil the appearance of the window, but are also a good environment for the development of fungus and bacteria.
Table of Contents
Why Is Our Window Turning Yellow?
In order to keep your uPVC windows white, it is necessary to know what makes them turn yellow and prevent harmful factors from affecting the plastic, if possible. Here are the main factors that affect uPVC and make windows yellow:
- weather conditions: temperature fluctuations, exposure to sunshine, high humidity;
- cleaning windows with detergents that contain abrasive additives;
- plastic absorbs nicotine and fat, so a yellow coating appears;
- the surface of the frame was contaminated with plaster or mounting foam;
- low quality of material.
What not to use on your uPVC window frames?
Aggressive liquids, sprays and chemicals may damage your window frames and cause discoloration or remove their glossy appearance. To prevent causing irreparable damage to your uPVC windows make sure you DO NOT use the following:
- scouring pad, wire wool or sponge with a scouring surface.
- glass cleaner on the frames
- bleach, methylated spirits
- cream cleaners, scouring powder or other abrasive cleaners
- caustic or ammonia-based cleaning agents
- Nail varnish remover
How to Clean Yellow uPVC Windows with Homemade Products?
How to whiten a uPVC window from without damaging it? If you are using liquid detergent, do not use hard grained or metal brushes as they may scratch the window. It is recommended to use a soft cloth or sponge for dishes, which will not damage the surface, but will effectively remove dirt.
There are many products for cleaning PVC window frames and windowsills. However, It is not always possible to use store-bought products, especially if you are allergic or prefer natural and homemade products. They do not harm plastic, because they do not contain abrasive particles and aggressive substances.
Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is our best cleaning ally. It is essential in your collection of homemade cleaning products! It is universal and used to clean almost anything – from refrigerators to stainless steel sinks. How to use baking soda to clean yellow uPVC windows? It is pretty easy!
- Pour baking soda into a bowl.
- Add water.
- Mix until you get a slightly thick paste.
- Then spread the paste on your PVC surfaces using a damp non-abrasive sponge.
- Rub well.
- Wipe with a dry towel.
Soda and Washing Powder
Both components can be used separately or together.
- Take half a liter of hot water and pour a spoonful of ingredients into it.
- Dissolve everything and apply on the frames.
- Leave on for 8-10 hours, then rinse with warm water.
How to Clean a Yellow PVC Window with White Vinegar
White vinegar disinfects, deodorizes, degreases, prevents and even treats mineral stains. It is ecological, health-friendly and very useful for house cleaning.
- Dilute a few spoons of white vinegar in a bucket of warm water.
- Gently rub the window frame using a soft, non-abrasive sponge.
- Then rinse with clean water.
- Wipe or air dry.
Clean Yellow Stains on uPVC Windows with Hydrogen Peroxide
Household (3 percent) hydrogen peroxide removes stains, red win, even blood. It is often used for cleaning different surfaces and you can use it to restore the white color of your window frames.
- Wash your window with dish soap.
- Rinse well, removing all soap.
- Pour household hydrogen peroxide into a container
- Damp a clean towel.
- Clean your window.
- Let it dry.
Each housewife chooses her own way of whitening uPVC window frames. It must be safe, both for humans and for plastic. Regular cleaning of window frames will keep them white and will please the eye for a long time.