Perfumes are like liquid poetry that tells the story of who you are, where you’ve been, where you’re going, and how you want the world to perceive you. Choosing a fragrance is like adding another layer to your personality. Are you sweet and floral like a walk in a garden of roses during a hot summer day, or are you fresh and citrusy like a glass of Limoncello by the beach? Maybe you’re soft and mysterious like the clasp of a veil, or quiet and comforting like a bonfire at dawn. We grow up, we change, and we develop different tastes, so it’s understandable that our scent will have to adapt, too. You deserve to feel the most genuine version of yourself at any age, and your perfume is that little luxury which can help you achieve that. Read on to find out what fragrances to try out during this upcoming summer of 2023!
Table of Contents
What Perfume Should I Wear in Summer?
As someone who’s been working in the perfume industry for over a decade, I can say that when it comes to choosing a summer scent, the tendencies have remained unwavering. In the summer it’s good to choose fragrances that have fresh citrusy notes such as bergamot, mandarin, lemongrass, verbena, and orange. They are paired really well with floral oils like peppermint, lavender, cinnamon, nutmeg, rosemary, and others. For a warmer woody scent, I suggest you opt for a fragrance with notes of frankincense, cedar wood, or juniper.
Which Fragrance Notes Last the Longest?
The pyramid structure of the perfume is composed of three layers – head (top), middle (heart), and base notes. Jean Carles, a renowned perfumer, and educator, states in his article “Methods of Creation & Perfumery” that each of those notes have different volatility which affects the way we perceive smells. The way Carles classifies scents is the following:
- Top Notes: Very volatile products lacking tenacity – Lavender, lemon, bergamot, orange, coriander, and others.
- Middle Notes: Products of Intermediate volatility and tenacity – Basil, verbena, thyme, juniper, neroli, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian rose, and others.
- Base Notes: Products of high tenacity with low volatility – orange flower, sage, jasmine, cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, and others.
Alírio E. Rodrigues, the author of “Perfume and Flavor Engineering: A Chemical Engineering Perspective“, explains how each of those notes has a different longevity and impact on the way our senses distinguish it. He states that top notes give us the initial perception of the fragrance, which lasts for about 15–30 minutes on the skin. Middle notes are modifiers that create the essence and character of the perfume and last for 3–4 hours on the skin. The base notes give substance to the perfume and last for over 4 hours.
Perfumes for Women Over 30
When you step into your 30s subconsciously you feel this push to reinvent yourself. Your closet is suddenly becoming more refined, you know what you do and don’t like, and you’re trying to incorporate a certain sense of maturity into the way you present yourself in public. If you’re looking for a new fragrance to highlight this milestone in your life, here are a few perfume suggestions for women over 30 to try out this summer!
- Love Story by Chloe – This floral fragrance embodies the essence of a romantic night out in Paris in the middle of the summer. Its youthful, yet elegant light fruity scent will make you daydream about love and spontaneous adventures. The top notes are fresh lemon, grapefruit, and bergamot transitioning through hints of stephanotis, rose, and orange. The base notes are seductive musk, patchouli, cashmere, and cedar wood that will instantly bring you a sense of comfort,
- L’interdit by Givenchy – Made for bold and brave women, this oriental scent encourages you to step outside the box, challenge yourself and discover the true meaning of freedom. The mysterious notes of vetiver and patchouli oil will make you feel like a true femme fatale ready to conquer the world.
- Dark is Night by Henry Rose – This sensual woody perfume blends perfectly patchouli and vanilla beans which help creates a bold provocative aura. Hints of green grass and vetiver will make it impossible for people to resist this alluring scent.
- PHILOSYKOS by Diptyque – This incredibly intricate and absolutely unique perfume has combined the fresh aroma of fig leaf, coconut, and green blend with subtle hints of cedar wood and soft milkiness. If you’re looking for a signature scent that will win you compliments anyplace you go, this is the choice for you!
Perfumes for Women Over 40
A woman in her 40 is a woman in her power! She’s brave, adventurous, and ready to seize life! Gentle and loving, but also confident and seductive, here are some of the fragrances that will make any lady in her 40s feel like the main character!
- Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone – Let this floral fragrance transport you back to your summers as a child, running wild and free in the forest and picking blackberries. This scent is a true walk down memory lane that will make you reminisce about a time when life used to be simple and carefree.
- My Burberry Black by Burberry – The nose behind this oriental perfume is one of the most renowned noses in the industry – Francis Kurkdjian. It’s soft and gentle, yet assertive and absolutely impossible to go unnoticed in the crowd and turn a few heads along the way!
- Dirty Velvet by Vilhelm Parfumerie – This unique woody scent will instantly transport you to a scene from an old movie, and you’ll be the woman in the leading role. Picture cigarette smoke, a jazz bar, Miles Davis, velvet dresses, and pearl necklaces.
- Sundazed by Byredo -A fresh, citrus scent that will linger on your skin and clothes for days! It’s the perfect gourmand scent that will definitely make you stand out in the crowd!
Perfumes for Women Over 50
If I had to put the scent of a woman in her 50s in a nutshell, it would be expensive and sophisticated. Floral notes like pear, jasmine, and apricot in combination with nutty textures, and tonka bean caramel help create luxurious fragrances that people will remember long after you’ve left the room. Here are some of the perfumes that embody the essence of the mature, refined woman in her prime.
- Tubéreuse Nue by Tom Ford – A sensual floral fragrance that combines spices, lily of the valley, jasmine, and cacao beans for a soft, summer scent that feels like a dance in the warm coastal breeze. Subtle hints of pepper and suede add a mysterious veil over the intricate interplay of Szechuan Peppercorn and Indian Orpur.
- Musc Shamal by Giorgio Armani Prive – An intoxicating oriental fragrance that transports you deep into the desert lands of Arabia and spins you in the mystifying dance of Aldehydes and Citruses.
- Mon Guerlain by Guerlain – This woody perfume is famously called “the manifesto of today’s femininity”. Prominent vanilla notes, tonka bean, licorice, and lavender create a sweet and warm aura that exudes utter sophistication.
- Tiffany & Love by Tiffany & Co – A sophisticated fresh smell inspired by precious metals and diamond cuts, this perfume is a bona fide staple. Sensual notes of blue rose and vetiver are combined with the citrusy freshness of basil and grapefruit to create an elegant symphony that lingers throughout the whole day.