Wood floors are delicate, and their cleaning products should be selected cautiously, not to hurt their marvelous, but fine finish. In the short list of suitable for their surface mild cleaners, the derived from flowers, leaves and fruits essential oils occupy an important place with their disinfecting possibilities and exquisite scented effect. Why it’s recommendable to perform cleaning wooden floor with essential oils? What are the pros and possible cons of their application?
Table of Contents
Can I Use Essential Oils on My Wood Floors?
Wooden floors bring a flair of grace and tenderness to any home, but they also demand a correct upkeeping to maintain their fairness and durability. You know how many commercial wood cleaners are existing on the market, and that a growing number of homeowners are choosing the natural variants like essential oils for cleaning their floor surfaces. So, there is some crucial question that arises: Is cleaning wooden floor with essential oils safe enough for these natural surfaces? When used properly, these oils can not only better the cleaning process, but leave a pleasing scent behind. Prior to applying them, it’s of great importance to think over a few factors. On the first place, always check if the natural stuff you are going to use is not dangerous for wood surfaces. Then, dilute it in the right way, to escape from any potential harm or buildup of a residue. And on the third place, test the prepared solution on a small, inconspicuous area of your walking surface to be sure it doesn’t cause any harmful reactions.
Which Essential Oil is Good for Cleaning Wood?
Selecting the right solution for cleaning wooden floor with essential oils rely on its cleaning possibilities and its scent. Some of these aromatic substances are familiar for their antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral action, making them efficient for cleaning and disinfecting. Here are a few of them, which are generally used for cleaning wood surfaces:
- Lemon: Famous for its refreshing and uplifting smell, it also has native degreasing qualities, making it great for cleaning grime and grease on wood floors.
- Tea tree: With its intense antiseptic action, tea tree essential oil is an ideal alternative for removing the dust and grease from wooden floors. It is also beneficial in eliminating bacteria and fungi, leaving your walking surface clean and hygienic.
- Lavender: This oil is appreciated for its soothing smell, making it a tender choice when you decide to leave a calming aroma in your living area. It also owns mild antibacterial action.
- Pine: The substance not only leaves a fresh forest-like smell, but also possesses natural antimicrobial effect, making it useful for cleaning and scenting wooden floors.
- Eucalyptus: The oil has a clear and liven up smell, and is renowned for its germ-fighting properties. It is useful in removing bacteria, while leaving a pleasing odor behind.
Wood Cleaner with Essential Oils: Pros and Cons
Using a wood cleaner with essential oils suggests some benefits, but it’s important to weigh them against a few possible deficiencies:
- What are the pros? They give a natural cleaning alternative to harsh chemicals, decreasing your exposure to toxins and artificial cleaning agents. Aromatic qualities are another advantage, as the pleasing and refreshing fragrance of essential oils linger after cleaning, bettering the atmosphere of your living areas. Antimicrobial activity is an additional plus. Many essential oils have innate antibacterial and antifungal activity, which promotes a pure and healthier ambiance. Using these wonderful agents is also helpful for an environmental sustainability, as these oils are derived from plants and their formulations are biodegradable.
- The possible cons? There is a risk of injury, because some oils, if not diluted or applied carefully, can destroy the finish of wooden floors. Remember, always test a small area prior to cleaning. Treating wooden floor with essential oils may also lead to allergies. While these natural remedies are commonly safe, there are people who have sensitivities to some of them or towards the scents. Wrongly prepared solutions or adding too much of the substance can result in residue, left on the floor’s surface.
DIY Floor Cleaner with Essential Oils and Vinegar
Vinegar is a perfect natural cleaning substance, often applied in a mixture with essential oils to the wooden floors. Its mild acidity is useful in dissolving dirt and grease, at the same time the oils bring pleasing odors and more cleaning strength. There is a simple formulation for making a such a solution:
- 1 cup (250 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 10–15 drops of your favorite essential oil (like lavender, lemon or tea tree)
- 2 cups (570 ml) of water
How to make it?
- Pour the vinegar, essential oil, and water in a spray bottle.
- Shake well before to use it.
- Lightly mist with the solution onto a microfiber mop or cloth.
- Wipe off the floor, not leaving much moisture.
- Let the floor air dry.