Easy Coca Cola Cake Recipe for a Traditional American Dessert
What is a Coca-Cola cake? How is this famous chocolatey dessert made? Which is the best and most easy recipe out there? A traditional American sheet cake recipe for the whole family to enjoy…
Table of Contents
What Is the Coca Cola Cake Recipe?
Is this your first time hearing of the popular Coca-Cola cake? If so, let me convince you why this sweet dessert is definitely worth a small amount of your time and effort! The Coca-Cola cake has been around for decades in the classic American cookbook, but maybe what made it so famous was its introduction to Cracker Barrel’s menu in the 199os. Cracker Barrel is a restaurant chain in America that serves traditional Southern food, and the delicious Coca-Cola cake is its dessert jewel. The enhanced rich flavour of this decadent chocolate cake thanks to the popular carbonated drink is what makes it unforgettable and perfect for birthdays along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! So, how to make it on your own? Learn the best coca cola cake recipe right now!
The Best and Most Easy Coca Cola Cake Recipe
With just a few simple and easy-to-find ingredients, let’s make the best coca cola cake in no time!
For the cake:
- 2 (12-ounce) cans Coca-Cola, divided
- 2 cups/282 g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup/43 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup/227 g salted butter
- 2 cups/400 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk/123 ml, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- ½ cup/123 ml reduced Coca-Cola from above
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup/113 g salted butter
- 4 cups/500 g powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup/43 g unsweetened cocoa powder
How to make the cake:
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F/180 °C. Take out a 9×13-inch baking dish and spray it with a non-stick baking spray. Then, in a medium saucepan, simmer both of the Coca-Cola cans over medium heat until the amount is reduced to 1 cup/245 ml. Set aside ½ cup/123 ml for the frosting. To the other ½ cup/123 ml of the reduced cola, add the cocoa powder and butter in a pan over medium heat. Whisk until the butter has melted, and the cocoa powder is completely dissolved. Then remove the pan from heat and let it cool for 5 min. Now, in a large bowl, pour the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt and whisk together until they are fully blended. Once the Coca-Cola has cooled, add it to the flour mixture. Now add also the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla and use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend everything together. The batter should be thin. Take it and pour it into the prepared baking dish. Put it in the oven and bake for 28-30 min. Check with a toothpick to see if it is ready.
Making the frosting:
While you wait for the cake to be ready, make the frosting by returning the reserved ½ cup/123 ml of Coca-Cola to the saucepan, along with the cocoa powder, butter and vanilla. Over medium heat, whisk the ingredients until the butter is fully melted, and the mixture is smooth. Then remove from heat. Add the powdered sugar ½ cup/56 g at a time by whisking together until it is fully dissolved. Repeat this step until you’ve used all the powdered sugar required for the frosting.
While both the cake and frosting are still warm, pour the frosting over it. Let the cake cool and the frosting to set. After that, you can slice it and serve. For the best outcome, serve the Coca-Cola cake with cherries or other toppings of choice.
Coca Cola Cake Recipe Tips
- To enjoy this delightful cake for the longest, store it in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. It can last in the fridge for up to 5 days, and up to 3 at room temperature.
- If you can’t eat all the cake in time and want to save some for later, you can freeze it without the icing, as sometimes it doesn’t hold up well.
- For extra flair, simply serve the Coca-Cola cake with walnuts, cherries, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If you and your family and friends enjoy sheet cakes, but want to try something healthier, here is a low-calorie recipe for a homemade raw vegan raspberry cheesecake!