DIY Liquid hand soap recipes allow you to make your own hand cleaning product with the ingredients that you choose. Soap making is a creative and exciting process and shall tell you how to make liquid soap at home and what you need to know about the process.
Currently, many people are thinking about how to make soap with their own hands. It is well known that mass produced household chemicals contain a lot of harmful substances, which sometimes instead of benefit cause only problems. People who care about their health try to make liquid soap at home, since a homemade product will have a large number of useful properties and will be very effective. In addition, it is easier to add useful components to a liquid substance, such as oils, vitamins and many other necessary ingredients.
Liquid soap is an alternative to soap bars. Homemade products are created for a specific type of skin. Therefore, they do not harm the skin. On the contrary, they have a cleansing and caring effect provide nutrients to the skin. In most cases, store bought soap is made on the basis of surface-active agents, include antibacterial components, perfumes and oils. Homemade liquid hand soap with natural additives is considered a natural product. It does not contain surface-active agents (surfactants), and therefore even small children can use it.
What are the advantages of DIY Liquid hand soap?
Few people know that you can make soap from scratch at home. In this way, a person can protect himself from harmful chemical additives. The great advantage of liquid soap is that it belongs to one of the most hygienic products for cleansing the skin, since such products are poured into containers with a special dispenser. In this way the liquid does not come into contact with the dirty hands of the person who is going to wash them, which is the biggest drawback of standard soap bars. In addition, harmful microbes cannot penetrate and remain on its surface, as it happens with solid soap.
- Due to its consistency, liquid hand soap can easily be diluted with a useful component, for example, glycerin, oils, herbal tinctures, etc. If adding the appropriate components, you can make a scrubbing soap.
- The huge advantage of liquid soap is that it is very convenient to store and take with you on a trip. Antibacterial liquid soap is an indispensable tool for any traveler.
- It does not irritate the skin because it does not have high concentration of alkali. Further to that, homemade soap does not contain dyes (unless you want to add a colorant) and synthetic perfumes.
- Homemade liquid soap is a great gift for your loved ones.
- Usually, the ingredients are inexpensive and your homemade soap will be cost effective and budget friendly.
- Experts calculated that any liquid soap is more economical than its solid counterpart, because people simply throw away the remnants of a soap bar.
- However, in addition to the advantages, a DIY liquid soap has its drawbacks. If you are not careful when you choose the ingredients for the composition, it can dry the lipid layer of the skin and even cause an allergic reaction.
DIY Liquid hand soap recipes – what is important to know about the process and ingredients?
It is not accidental that DIY Liquid hand soap recipes vary. The composition of the soap depends on the purpose of the product. It depends whether you need a soap to use on a daily basis, antibacterial soap, whether you want to have protective and nourishing components, etc. If you are making soap for the first time, these basic rules will be of help.
- Components must be selected carefully.
- Do not ignore the proportions advised in the recipes. Proportions are important and will help you prevent damages to the skin.
- You need to purchase a dispenser.
- Homemade soap is prepared in small portions. Due to the naturalness of its composition, it will deteriorate faster.
- Dyes are added exclusively for aesthetic purposes. If using any, the quantity should be a few drops so that the soap does not color the skin. If a child will use soap, it is advisable not to use dyes and colorants in the composition of soap.
- Do not use any ingredient that you might be allergic to.
- Most homemade liquid hand soap recipes contain oils. Oils and water will naturally separate. It is best to give the soap a good shake before each use.
What are the most popular ingredients for homemade liquid hand soap? The composition of natural liquid hand soaps can include various oils, herbal extracts and tinctures, juice of vegetables and fruits, essential oils, etc.
Liquid Castile soap is one of the most popular ingredients in DIY liquid hand soap recipes deeply moisturizes the skin and cleanses it at the same time. It is usually olive oil soap base but may be made from other types of vegetable oils, such as coconut oil. It is environmentally friendly, does not contain any harmful chemicals or foaming agents and is safe for those with sensitive skin. Castile soap comes in scented or unscented variety.
Essential Oils are natural antioxidants and have a positive effect on the skin. All of them have a protective and restorative effect on the skin. You can choose your favorite scent and change the oil every season. Citrus oil, – orange, grapefruit, lemon oil is natural antioxidant, rejuvenates, smoothes, nourishes and refreshes the skin. Tea tree and eucalyptus essential oil have anti-inflammatory properties and helps skin healing faster and rose essential oil is a natural antiseptic. Peppermint has a cooling effect on the skin, and reduces itchiness. Many people use essential oil blends. Here are some suggestions:
- 3 drops Cardamom + 2 drops Cinnamon + 2 drops Clove + 8 drops Wild Orange
- 4 drops Cypress + 5 drops White Fir + 5 drops Sandalwood
- 8 drops Siberian Fir + 7 drops Arborvitae
- 9 drops Peppermint + 6 drops Ylang Ylang
- 6 drops Lemon + 7 drops Lavender + 2 drops Rosemary
- 6 drops Bergamot + 7 drops Orange + 2 drops Elevation
- 7 drops Grapefruit + 8 drops Lime
Water is another basic ingredient for homemade liquid soap and as we selected recipes with castile soap, it is recommended that you use cold water to make the most of the essential oils. Those whose skin is very sensitive, can prepare homemade liquid soap with chamomile extract, since it has a calming effect and helps protect and restore the skin. It is best if you use purified or distilled water. When water is not purified, it can attract bad bacteria. The easiest way to purify water is to boil it.
How to store homemade liquid hand soap?
Each of the ingredients in the composition of your homemade liquid soap is important not only for its properties but for the storage as well. For example, herbal decoctions rapidly lose their useful properties and the soap cannot be stored for a long period of time. Avoid ingredients that require storage in a refrigerator. After all, you cannot keep your soap in the fridge, right? Check the soap. If the composition has lost uniformity, and the soap itself began to smell badly, it is not suitable for use.
DIY natural and moisturizing liquid hand soap recipe
- 1/2 cup of Castile soap
- 1/2 cup of distilled or boiled water
- 1 tbsp of Vitamin E
- 1 tbsp of Almond oil
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oils (tea tree essential oil – 7 or 8 drops or Lavender essential oil – 3 or 4 drops)
Boil the water unless you are using distilled water.
Add Castile soap to a reusable soap dispenser.
Add vitamin e, almond oil and essential oils.
Let water cool a bit if you boiled it and add to the dispenser.
Put lid back on container and gently shake the container to mix ingredients.
Diy Lemon hand soap recipe
- 3/4 cup of distilled or boiled water
- 1/4 cup of Castile soap
- 20 drops of lemon essential oil
Pour 3/4 cup of water into the soap dispenser.
Add 1/4 cup of Castile soap.
Add 20 drops of lemon essential oil.
Homemade Coconut Liquid Hand Soap
- 1 cup distilled water
- ¼ cup castile soap, liquid
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 15 drops essential oils of choice (or essential oil blend)
In a soap dispenser, add all ingredients and shake until everything is combined.
Wash hands using soap and rinse off.
DIY Rosemary and Grapefruit Liquid Hand Soap
- 5 tbsp Castile soap
- 1 tsp Vegetable glycerin
- purified/distilled water
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2-3 strips Grapefruit Peels
- 3-6 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- 2-5 drops Rosemary essential oil
Add the castile soap, vegetable glycerin, and essential oils into the soap dispenser.
Fill the rest of the bottle with purified/distilled water and give it a good shake.
Add the sprigs of fresh rosemary, and a few strips of grapefruit peel. Keep the rosemary and grapefruit peels in the dispenser for 2-3 days and remove them.