Beautiful, healthy and flawless skin – which woman doesn’t want that? In order to look as fresh and young as possible, we spend a lot of money on care products and are constantly trying out different cosmetic treatments. Does your skin feel irritated and dry lately? Unfortunately, flaky skin on the face is not uncommon and many women suffer from it. The dry spots are particularly difficult to cover up and are often very itchy. So what are the most common causes of flaky facial skin? What could you do about it and are there home remedies that help against flaky skin on the face? We’ll tell you all that, as well as other helpful facial care tips, in our article!
Table of Contents
What Are the Causes of Flaky Skin on the Face?
Flaky skin on the face doesn’t look very pretty and often our self-confidence suffers as a result of this. Of course, in order to properly treat the problem, you first need to know what causes it.
- Disrupted process of skin renewal – Our skin renews itself every 28 days. New skin cells are formed in the lowest layer of the skin, which pushes the ones above them upwards. At the same time, dry and dead skin cells are shed. But with increasing age, this process becomes slower and skin renewal problems can lead to flaky skin on the face.
- Aging – As the years go by, not only does our hair change, but the skin’s oil production also gradually decreases. As a result, the face feels drier and duller, and flaky patches appear.
- Genetics – There are people who naturally have dry or oily skin. If you are among the first, then you know that dry skin needs extensive care.
- High temperatures and low humidity – The excessive sweating and dry air of summer are also a common cause of flaky facial skin. Low humidity and strong winds also dry the skin and make the face look rough.
- Wrong diet – We are what we eat. Along with encouraging acne and pimples, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency as well as unhealthy lifestyle can lead to flaky areas on the face.
- Hard water – Despite perfect care, does your skin feel dry? Then it’s probably not your fault, it’s the water in your area. Hard water that is too rich in calcium and magnesium can actually aggravate various skin conditions and dry out our facial skin.
Flaky Facial Skin Symptoms
Flaky skin on the face is often temporary or seasonal in nature, and fortunately is quite treatable. Signs and symptoms can vary depending on age, lifestyle, skin tone, and health. Flaky patches on the face are usually accompanied by small cracks, dry skin and red spots. Here is a short list of the most common symptoms of scaly facial skin:
- Skin imperfections;
- Slight skin bleeding;
- The skin looks and feels rough;
- Severe itching;
- Feeling of tension;
- Skin inflammation.
What Helps Against Flaky Skin on the Face?
As already mentioned, flaky patches on the face are very easy to treat and will disappear in a few weeks with proper care. But if you’re confused by the long ingredient lists on the cream packaging, certain home remedies and tricks might be worth trying. Discover how to treat flaky skin on your face below.
Don’t Shower Too Long
We all know that hot water damages our hair structure. Well, logically, that also applies to our skin. Long showers and water that is too hot strip away the skin’s natural oils, leaving it brittle and dull. To avoid flaky skin on your face, limit the bath time to 10 minutes or less and always use lukewarm, not hot, water.
Use Gentle Cleansing Products
Flaky skin on the face can indicate an allergic reaction to certain chemicals, fragrances, and dyes. Unfortunately, most care products on the market are often full of chemicals that are bad for the skin. If you have flaky facial skin, always use natural and fragrance-free cleansers that provide your skin with plenty of moisture. Products with stearic acid (found in shea butter) or linoleic acid (found in argan oil) contribute significantly to improving the complexion and making our face beautifully smooth. After cleansing your skin, apply an oil-based moisturizer with sunscreen. Even if you tan easily, it is advisable to use creams with high SPF at least twice a day.
Olive Oil for Flaky Skin
Olive oil is perhaps one of the most effective home remedies for flaky skin on the face that everyone keeps around the house. It provides the skin with plenty of moisture and is also an excellent natural facial cleanser. To use it, rub some olive oil on your face and place a warm towel over it until it cools down completely. Then rinse off the excess olive oil with lukewarm water. A scrub made of olive oil and sugar is also a real miracle weapon against flaky skin on the face. To do this, mix 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and gently rub the scrub onto the skin. Rinse well and apply a moisturizer.
Oatmeal Scrub for Dry Facial Skin
Oatmeal not only tastes delicious for breakfast, but can also help against dry skin on the face. For a homemade scrub, mix 2-3 tablespoons of fine oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of honey and a dash of water. Rub the scrub onto the skin and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse off with lukewarm water.