How to Clean White Plastic Chairs to Turn Them from Dirty Gray into White and New Again?
The days are longer and longer, and the sun shines in your garden. This makes you remember the long warm evenings with the family, under a blooming apple. So, it’s time to place your plastic chair and table in the garden! They look so pretty on the grass “carpet” between the trees. But you notice there are some dark dirty stains on their surface, that should be cleaned before your first dinner in the yard. And you’re thinking about a reliable approach to remove the stains. That’s why we are going to reveal a few pretty easy ways how to clean white plastic chairs, leaving them whitened and sleek.
Table of Contents
What are the advantages to have plastic made white chairs?
It’s privileged to have these white chairs, which will not get hot under the summer sun rays, and are so light and easy to be moved everywhere. In addition to this, they are cheap, stackable, water-resistant, and sustainable, as the plastic, from which they are made, in most cases come from recycled materials. The only downside of having these chairs is that they get dirty easily and should be maintained regularly. Now, we are going to share with you our knowledge on how to clean white plastic chairs with these easy methods.
How to clean mold from white plastic chairs?
When your white chairs stay longer in the garden, they can get covered with mold, stains and spills from food. You may also find some mud, grass, bird droppings, and tree sap. That means they need to be cleaned thoroughly. But before you start, spread a patch of tarp on a sunny place in your garden. Take your white plastic chairs and a hose. Then prepare the cleaning solution for removing the dust and the mold. Mix 3 parts white vinegar with 1 part water and pour the solution in a spraying bottle. Apply it everywhere on the chairs’ surface, mostly on spaces where the mildew is. Leave for 10 minutes to react and continue with the thorough cleaning.
How to clean white plastic chairs in 3 steps
The thorough cleaning of your white plastic chairs follows the first stage of removing the dust and mildew. This cleaning method aims to wash away every single stain, and is performed by few steps.
1. Ingredients for the 1st step:
- Pour 1 gallon (4 L) of lukewarm water into a bucket
- Add ¼ cup (60 ml) of dishwashing detergent and stir till the soap is dissolved
2. Ingredients for the 2nd step:
- Pour 1 gallon (4 L) of lukewarm water
- Add 1 ½ cup of baking soda and mix till the baking soda dissolves
3. Ingredients for the 3rd step:
- Pour 1 gallon (4 L) of lukewarm water
- Add ¼ cup of all-purpose cleaner
Washing and rinsing the chairs
Wash your white plastic chairs with sponge or soft brush, starting from the top with the cleaning solutions (step 1 to step 3). Then rinse them thoroughly with the hose. At last, leave them to air-dry in the sun or dry them with a microfiber towel.
How to clean white plastic chairs with heavy stains?
You have washed your white chairs thoroughly, but they are still somewhat dingy and there are stains left. And you are in a bit of a puzzle and wondering how to clean white plastic chairs with heavy stains. In this situation, you may use oxygen bleach to whiten them. This chemical bleaches more gently and slowly than chlorine bleach, when removing stains. It is more sustainable and will not destroy the plants in the garden, or do any harm to them. Here is the composition of the solution:
- Pour 1 gallon (4 L) of lukewarm water in a bucket.
- Add ⅔ cup (140 g) of oxygen bleach powder and stir to dissolve the bleach.
- Wearing gloves, apply this solution with a soft brush or a sponge to the chairs.
- Start at the top and let the oxygen bleach to stay for 10–15 minutes.
- Rinse with the hose, and dry with a microfiber towel or leave to air-dry in the sun.
How to clean white plastic chairs and keep them for longer?
Once you’ve cleaned and whitened the chairs, you may keep them from getting dirty by applying an automotive paste wax. Spread the wax over their surface with a soft towel or sponge, and finally buff it with a cloth.
Then follow some rules:
- Do not place the chairs under trees with falling blossoms and leaves
- Cover the white chairs or store them indoors to protect during winter
- When placed outside, keep your white chairs under a garden umbrella
Now you have your white plastic chairs ready for your warm spring and summer days.