Have you ever woken in the middle of the night with a rumble in your tummy? If this is you, you may also find yourself standing in front of the refrigerator with a blank expression. That’s where I come in! Here are some great, tasty midnight snack ideas to calm that grumble and get you swiftly back to your slumber and away from the kitchen.
Table of Contents
- What to have for a midnight snack when I’m feeling peckish?
- What can I make for a midnight snack to satisfy my hunger?
- Popular midnight snack ideas to get my taste buds tingling?
- Sweet midnight snack ideas, ideal for munching!
- Weird midnight snacks that you might come to like
- Does a midnight snack help you sleep, or is it the reason you can’t doze off?
- And last but not least….how to avoid midnight snacks
What to have for a midnight snack when I’m feeling peckish?
Trying to get to sleep or being woken up when you’re hungry is the worst. It’s an almost impossible task to say the least. Grab your trusty sandwich maker and let’s get started. You can include absolutely anything in a toasted sandwich, bananas, ham, cheese, onion, salami and the list goes on. A great tip to the perfect toastie is to butter the bread on the opposite side of the slice. That way, when you take it out of the sandwich toaster, it will turn a delicious brown without being hard. The butter will make sure it stays crunchy and soft at the same time. Some fantastic fillings for toasties’ are:
- Cream cheese and ham
- Cheese and onion
- Nutella and banana
- Meat feast -Ham, salami and pepperoni
If you’re looking to make it a little bit healthier – add some fresh tomatoes!
What can I make for a midnight snack to satisfy my hunger?
So you’re feeling hungry but don’t like the idea of munching in case you gain weight? Boy, have I got a solution for you! It’s a healthy snack and scrumptious at the same time! Now, it may sound like a strange combo, but check this out! Peanut butter and banana slices laced on a slice of wholegrain toast. It’s sounds completely as if it wouldn’t work together, but you’d be surprised. The banana adds a great element of sweetness to the peanut butter. The great thing about it is, is that you can opt for either creamy or crunchy peanut butter for that extra kick!
Popular midnight snack ideas to get my taste buds tingling?
Looking for something more substantial? This one will knock your socks off and have you wanting more and more! Grab yourself the following:
- Microwaveable mug – It should be able to hold around 400ml
- Any type of macaroni works, I find the small noodle variety works best, but it’s up to you!
- Favourite grated or shredded cheese
- Boiling water – Enough to cover the mac (400ml)
- Milk – Enough to cover your Mac (400ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grab your mug and fill it with the macaroni.
- Next add in the boiling water and salt to taste, make sure to cover the macaroni with the water fully, so the mac can soften.
- Place it in the microwave and cook it on high for around 3–4 minutes, stirring every minute or so with a spoon.
- Once the water has soaked into the mac, add in your milk, cheese and pepper.
- Put it back into the microwave for another 3–4 minutes, and voilà – the perfect, creamy midnight snack idea!
Sweet midnight snack ideas, ideal for munching!
That sweet tooth is giving you grief and all you can think about is being surrounded by all things sweet? When I can’t seem to think of anything else, I grab myself some popcorn and settle down in front of a film. Popcorn is great for beating the hunger, tasty too. I myself, prefer the salted caramel sort. Whether you have the ready-made sort, microwaveable type or you’re feeling fancy and want to get crafty on top of the stove with the saucepan type, it’s the perfect midnight snack idea.
Weird midnight snacks that you might come to like
It may seem absurd, but pickles could turn out to be the answer to your prayers. I’m talking about the good old-fashioned jar type. Many people don’t actually own up to munching on these sour cucumbers late at night. They provide not only nutrition but crunchy, salty, sour goodness all at the same time. Now, how’s that for an idea? Thank me later…
Does a midnight snack help you sleep, or is it the reason you can’t doze off?
This is a debate that has been going on for as long as I can remember. I have to admit, I am guilty of eating snacks late at night, but I haven’t experienced lack of sleep. There are a few things to steer clear of, though, just before you hit the bed – chocolate and cheese. The reason being is that they affect our nervous system by giving us a sudden boost of energy. This will prevent the mind from sleeping peacefully. It is advised to stay away from sugary things and opt for the better choice of having a nice warm glass of milk and some cookies.
And last but not least….how to avoid midnight snacks
They say that if we are thinking of eating late at night, it’s either due to stress or boredom. The best way to avoid getting into this state of mind is to make sure you have eaten a substantial and stable evening meal. Try to wind down by taking a hot bath or shower, read a book or listen to your favourite music before bedtime. The day-to-day stresses of work life are usually the cause of stress, so it’s extremely important to separate the two lifestyles. Work stays at work, home is home!