Pancake cereal recipes: A different breakfast with delicious mini pancakes!
What is Pancake cereal? These are cereal sized mini pancakes. Pancakes are everyone’s favorite and the cereal version is a huge trend, just like Dalgona coffee.
The sweet mini pancakes appeared on the social platform TikTok and have gone viral on Instagram and Twitter. Numerous hobby chefs got keen on the idea for a delicious breakfast served with a variety of toppings. Of course, we shall give you a simple pancake cereal recipe and some ideas for toppings.
Pancake cereal recipe tips and tricks for the perfect quarantine-era breakfast
Pancake cereal recipe is based on standard ingredients. Yes, preparation may be a bit more time consuming but the result is so cute, visually pleasing and of course, tasty! The preparation is very simple. You need to prepare a pancake batter and squeeze tiny dollops in a nonstick pan. The mini size of the pancakes makes them crispier that regular-sized ones and hence the name – Pancake cereal. Scoop them into a bowl and serve with milk, maple syrup, fruits or any other topping that you like!
The best thing about pancake cereal is that you can use any dough recipe. From ready-made pancake mixes from the shop to vegan pancakes – it is all about your preferences and personal taste. Below we have the original recipe from the inventor of the food trend. Since the pancakes are quite small, we have to warn you that they will get cold quickly. That is why we recommend that you work quickly or use a larger pan.
It is better to use vegetable oil instead of butter for the pan. Butter has a lower heating point and your mini pancakes could burn quickly.
Make sure you heat the pan on low and do not turn up the temperature.
Since the batter spreads a little when frying, make really small dots so that you have a cereal –size pancakes. Make sure the batter is not too thick and not to thin or runny. If the batter is too thin the pancakes will run into each other. If it is too thick you it will be difficult to pipe it out. Make sure your batter is not lumpy either or it won’t pipe out smoothly.
What are the best toppings for cereal pancakes? Pancake cereal recipe is a fun way to serve an original breakfast and, of course, pass the quarantine time at home. The most common option is to drizzle a little honey and butter on them. You can serve them with milk as well but in this case you need to keep in mind that they will not be so crispy and fluffy. Try mini pancakes with chocolate chips or add some fresh berries. Nutella, cinnamon sugar, nuts, sugar sprinkles – there is the perfect pancake cereal recipe for every taste!
Pancake cereal recipe
- 60 g wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 ml buttermilk or full fat milk
- Oil for the pan
- Plastic bag
- Topping of your choice
- Heat up a non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Mix all the ingredients for the pancake batter until smooth. Make sure the dough is not too liquid or too thick.
- Now put the pancake batter in a small plastic bag and then cut a small hole in the lower corner.
- Brush a thin layer of oil on your pan.
- Pipe out small drops in the pan.
- Cook until small bubbles form on the surface and around the edges.
- Flip and continue cooking until golden brown, about 30 seconds more.
- Spoon the mini pancakes in a bowl, top them as you like and enjoy!
Vegan vanilla and chocolate pancake cereal recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups oatmilk
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- In a bowl, whisk all pancake ingredients except the cocoa powder until just blended.
- Divide the mixture in 2 bowls, and whisk the cocoa powder into one of them.
- Spoon the two mixtures into separate a pastry bags and cut the tips. Optionally, you can use ziplock bags with the corner cut off.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Pipe round pancakes onto the pan and let cook until the bottoms are done for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until set and starting to brown.
- Flip with a small spatula and cook another minute or so on the other side.
- Place the pancakes in a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
Vegan Gluten-Free Pancake Cereal
- ¾ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup almond milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until smooth.
- Add the batter into a squeeze bottle, a piping bag or a ziplock bag.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Pipe mini pancakes and cook until the top is bubbling and golden brown. Flip and cook for another minute.
- Repeat until you’ve used all the batter.
- Transfer the pancakes into a bowl then top with maple syrup.