We have a magnificent selection of sweet and savory French toast recipes which will help you serve the best breakfast to your family. Breakfast, the first meal of the day, not only gives a boost of energy, but also creates the mood for the day. The choice of recipes for breakfast depends on national and family traditions, lifestyle and even from the day of the week and the time of the year. Some people have a cup of hot coffee, often with milk or cream, a sandwich or a toast with marmalade while others just skip breakfast.
Why should we have breakfast? The right breakfast is the right beginning of the day and is essential for the metabolism of the body. There are some simple rules which will help you understand the importance of breakfast and how it helps human organism. Breakfast should be eaten within an hour after awakening and it should be high in calories. That is, it is not enough to drink only a cup of coffee. For rapid metabolism, breakfast should provide 20-25% of the daily calorie intake.
The optimal breakfast is a combination of light protein foods and oils. You can also add fruit. Protein products slow down the absorption of carbohydrates, prolonging the feeling of satiety. Traditions vary from country to country and from full English breakfast to porridge, an omelette to croissant – there are hundreds of breakfast recipes to start your day.
Table of Contents
Sweet French toast recipes for a delicious start of the day
We have to start with the basic recipe for French toast, which is super easy. All you need is several slices of bread, milk, butter and eggs. You can add vanilla and/or cinnamon for additional flavor to your breakfast. Here is how to prepare it:
- Beat egg, vanilla and cinnamon in shallow dish. Stir in milk. Add vanilla and cinnamon to the mixture.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- Cook bread slices on lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until browned on both sides.
- Serve with berries or other fruits – bananas, peach, decorate with fresh mint leaves, add syrup, or mascarpone or creme fraiche and you will have the perfect breakfast.
French toast souffle
- 14 – 16 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch (2 cm)cubes
- 8-ounce (250 g.) cream cheese, softened
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Coat a 9×13 inch (22×30 cm) baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the eggs and beat well until combined. Add milk, half-and-half, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the bread cubes, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190C). Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand for 20 minutes. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until set. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- Serve with additional warmed maple syrup.
Easy apple pie French toast casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- Pinch each nutmeg and allspice
- 9 slices cinnamon raisin bread, halved
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (wallnuts)
- Maple syrup and fresh berries for serving
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened. Stir in lemon juice, half of the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, remaining cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Coat the inside of a casserole with cooking spray. Dip 10 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange on bottom. Spread apples on top. Dip remaining 8 bread halves in egg mixture and arrange over the apples. Pour remaining egg mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake in a preheated oven until egg is set in the center. Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries.
S’mores French toast recipe
- 4 slices stale white bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 16 marshmallows , halved horizontally
- Toppings (optional)
- Chocolate sauce
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish.
- Spread Nutella on all 4 slices of bread.
- Place marshmallows on 2 of the pieces of bread.
- Heat butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Take the bread with the marshmallows and dip the bottom side of the bread into the egg mixture, then place into the pan.
- Dip the remaining two slices of bread into the egg mixture and place on top of the marshmallow topped bread in the pan, to form a sandwich.
- Press down lightly with a spatula to help the heat melt the marshmallows.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom is golden brown, flip and cook the other side for about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with extra marshmallows and chocolate sauce.
Blueberry and banana French toast casserole
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- 1 loaf French bread, cubed into 1-inch (2 cm)cubes
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Spray a 13×9-inch (22×30 cm) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Layer the bananas in the bottom and top with the bread cubes.
- Combine eggs, milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Make sure that every cube is soaked with the milk mixture.
- Spread the blueberries over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the egg mixture has set, about 45-55 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with maple syrup.
Quick and easy savory French toast recipes and ideas
Savory French toast with fried egg
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half, whole milk, or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for serving
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 4 thick slices brioche bread
- 2 fried eggs
- Whisk together eggs, dairy, salt, pepper, scallions, and parsley.
- Melt butter in a skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Dip the bread in egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer slices to two plates and top with a pat of butter, fried egg, salt, pepper, and just a few more fresh herbs.
Quick savory French toast with cheese
- 12 thick slices of French or brioche bread
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of each – smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 6 slices of cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, for cooking
- Preheat a large skillet or non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter and season with spices and salt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture until thoroughly soaked.
- Place a slice of cheese between two slices of bread..
- Place the French toast in the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes per side. Flip with the help of a large spatula.
- Serve the savory French toast warm with vegetables – tomatoes, cucumber, avocado or any other.
Savory French toast with creamy mushrooms and poached eggs
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp butter
- 1 lb (450 g.) mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp whole-wheat flour
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole-grain rye bread or white bread
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high temperature. Sauté mushrooms and garlic, stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme, pepper flakes, season with salt and transfer to a bowl.
- Add flour in the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ½ cup milk and cook until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir into mushroom mixture; cover to keep warm.
- Whisk 3 eggs and 3/4 cup milk, season with salt and black pepper. Dip the bread in the egg mixture and arrange the slices in a single layer in baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tsp butter in skillet on medium-high.
- Cook, turning once, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- For the poached eggs, fill a wide, shallow saucepan with 2 inches (5 cm.) of water and bring it to a boil. Add vinegar. Gently slip the eggs into water. Cover, turn off heat and let stand for 3-5 minutes
- Serve toast topped with mushroom mixture, poached eggs and parsley.