In the last few years, gray hair has become one of the most popular trends. Gray highlights are super popular and many women choose different methods of getting the trendy shades. But when it comes to natural gray hair, few are the women that wear it with pride and dignity as this is associated with age and not with fashion. However, if your strands are well maintained, there is no reason to hide your graying hair. Let’s look at the top gray hair care tips that will help you have a healthy and fabulously looking mane!
Table of Contents
Why Hair Turns Gray?
With age the follicles stop producing melanin. This factor is determined by genetics and cannot be influenced by diet or lifestyle. In addition, the process of graying can be associated with stress, vitamin deficiencies as well as certain diseases.
Improper or unbalanced diet leads to lack of nutrients. Micro- and macronutrient deficiencies and low levels of the B vitamins, folic acid, biotin, and vitamin B12, as well as vitamin D, iron, and selenium are factors for the appearance of gray hair. A diet rich in vitamins and especially folic acid can help keep your hair color for as long as possible. Multivitamins for women over 50 are also recommended.
Stress is another reason for graying hair. It affects hair roots in different ways. Extremely high stress can change stem cells in hair follicles
Gray hair, especially at an early age, may indicate autoimmune and chronic diseases, metabolic disorders, and some syndromes, for example, diseases of the thyroid gland.
What Hair Products Help Gray Hair Look Smooth and Shiny?
Gray hair needs special care and attention. What products will help you maintain it healthy, smooth and shiny? Here are some recommendations that will help you choose proper shampoo, conditioner and styling products.
Gray hair tends to be dry and brittle. This means that moisturizing is of great importance. Look for a conditioner that is rich in moisturizing ingredients and nourishing balms.
Look for a high quality sulfate-free shampoo that will cleanse your hair without damaging it with chemical ingredients. The market offers products that are especially are designed for gray hair
Moisturizing hair masks are also important. Applying a mask once a week will help keep the curls soft and healthy.
Products for styling gray hair should not contain large amounts of alcohol. Whenever possible, choose light cream styling products rather than gels or mousses.
Top Gray Hair Care Tips for a Beautiful and Healthy Mane
Of course, regular hair care is required to maintain an attractive appearance. To maintain a proper appearance, it is necessary to provide regular hair care. In a modern metropolis, this is especially important because unfavorable ecology, stress, overwork, chronic lack of sleep and fatigue affect the condition of your hair. Here are the top gray hair care tips!
- Moisturize your hair. Use professional products or homemade remedies to care for gray hair.
- Consider your diet. It must contain foods rich in proteins, B vitamins, iron, calcium, zinc, silicon. All these elements are useful for the care of gray hair and the structure of curls. Eat meat, legumes, greens, vegetables, and fish that contain omega fatty acids. Avoid fast food and starchy foods.
- Buy cosmetics designed for gray hair that contain plant extracts, oils and vitamins.
- Avoid exposing your hair to sunlight.
- Avoid frequent use of a hair dryer, curling iron or other hot styling tools.
- Trim the split ends every 6-8 weeks to make gray hair easier to manage and style. Gray hair can look untidy if not trimmed often enough.
- When choosing a stylish haircut, opt for a bob or pixie. Caring for gray hair will become easier, and the new hairstyle will make you look younger.
- If possible, give up coloring and contrast highlighting. Yes, it can change your appearance and hide gray hair, but dyeing also has a stronger negative effect on gray strands. Optionally, you can tint your silver mane. Even if you use quality hair care products, gray hair can have a yellowish tint, so choose the right shampoo for you and use it once or twice a month.
- Avoid heavy pomades, waxes and oily serums. They can give hair an untidy, dusty look. Use sprays that do not contain alcohol, which dries your hair.
- Keep a daily routine and try to get enough sleep. This also affects the condition of the hair and the care of gray hair.