Winter is an incredibly beautiful time of the year when everything is covered with a fresh carpet of snow. However, our skin is more vulnerable during the cold season and is often exposed to frosty winds and sudden changes in temperature. And lips are no exception. Lips are a very delicate area of the face. The skin in this area is very thin and sensitive. In addition, it is constantly exposed to external influence. In winter, lips need special care because this is the time when the risk of chapping and cracking increases significantly. We shall give you some simple winter lip care tips and the basic rules that you need to follow to avoid problems during the cold season.
The main problem that arises in the winter is the drying out of the lips which results in peeling and cracking. That is why you need to take care of them every day and if you follow the rules for lip care in winter, then your lips will always look attractive and magnificent. Why shouldn’t you lick your lips? This is one of the most common mistakes that people make. It is a natural protective reaction to slightly moisturize them. Most often cracks on the lips appear in the corners or on the lower lip. The upper lip is less prone to cracking, as the lower lip is usually licked. Human saliva contains two enzymes that strongly affect dry lips – amylase and maltase. When the saliva on the lips dries, it evaporates the natural moisture, which leads to dry lips. Therefore, you should not lick your lips, especially in the wind and frost.
Winter lip care tips and basic rules
Cold is not beneficial to exposed skin, especially to the face. Our face is most susceptible to frost and wind. Thin skin of lips suffers most of all from aggressive environment. Proper daily care will help preserve the beauty and youth of the lips for a long time. Winter lip care tips are based on some simple procedures – cleansing, softening, moisturizing and applying protective products.
Lip health also depends on our diet. Our skin needs vitamins such as B, E, A and K. In winter, the menu must constantly include red meat, nuts, dairy products, vegetables and cereals. These products will provide essential nutrients and vitamins to the body.
Cleaning the lips removes dead cells. Peeling procedures should be done once a week. You can buy a scrub from a cosmetic store or prepare it yourself. One of the simplest methods is to mix a tablespoon of honey with a teaspoon of sugar and add half a spoonful of olive oil. Apply on lips and massage. Wipe your lips with a damp towel, scrubbing dead skin. This easy scrub will help you remove dead skin particles, improve blood circulation and moisturize your lips. Take a note that you must not use the method if you have cracks on your lips.
Massage your lips regularly. It should be done with gentle circular movements with a soft bristled toothbrush. After massage, apply a moisturizer. Regular massage will preserve the rich natural color of the lips. If you already have problems with dry and chapped lips, moisturize them with butter or olive oil, as well as cucumber juice. Honey is also a good anti-inflammatory and moisturizer. Its regular application will restore the beauty of your lips.
Moisturize your lips during winter! There are no sebaceous glands on the skin of the lips, which is the reason why they lack moisture. During windy and cold periods the lips often get dry and they get chapped and in some cases even become inflamed. To prevent these troubles, it is necessary to moisturize them regularly with a special balm or a simple hygienic lipstick, which can be applied separately, as well as a base for makeup. It is good if the lipstick contains beeswax, hyaluronic acid, natural oils like jojoba oil and vitamins A, E, C and F, which act as antioxidants and protect the skin from aging. It is better to avoid products containing alcohol, retinol, menthol and glycerin during winter. Make sure lipstick and balms are oil-based and not water-based and always check the composition of the products during winter. You can moisturize your lips with cocoa oil. It not only has a pleasant aroma but also perfectly cares for your lips.
Simple lip care tips for every day during winter
Every woman wants sexy, beautiful, soft and healthy lips. Follow our simple lip care tips for every day during winter to avoid unattractive, flaky, chapped weathered lips and maintain their natural beauty.
- Do not lick your lips while on the street, because the saliva evaporates, and your lips get dry.
- Do not bite your lips. If you have this habit, you need to do your best to immediately abandon it.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins.
- Moisturize your lips during the day with hygienic lipstick or oil.
- When removing makeup, do not forget about the lips. Remove lipstick completely with gel, lotion or micellar water.
- Do not forget about daily lip massage. Massage can be done with a soft toothbrush.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Be careful when you wash your face. When applying a cleanser to your skin, avoid the area around your mouth and lips. Many products include salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide which affect the pH of the skin of the lips in winter in a negative way.
- It is best if you apply a lip balm, and then lipstick during winter period to prevent them from getting dry and chapped.
- Use lip gloss. Most lip glosses contain oils that soften the skin of your lips.
- Before going to bed, it is recommended to apply a mask made of vegetable oil, honey or olive oil for 10-15 minutes. Thanks to this procedure, your lips will remain well-groomed even in winter.
Wherever you are, at home, at work or on the street – always protect your lips. With proper care you will have a magnificent smile all winter long!