Everyone loves receiving presents, but it becomes even more meaningful when the gift is handmade. In this article, I’ll be giving you some tips and tricks on how to make some awesome DIY birthday gifts that will leave everyone amazed at your handiwork. You’re probably thinking, “I’m no good when it comes to being creative”. No need to worry, they are so easy, even a child could make them!
Table of Contents
- Do it yourself birthday gifts that would impress even the toughest of judges
- Creative DIY birthday gifts that will win you a gold star!
- Easy DIY birthday gifts for even when you’re feeling lazy
- Birthday DIY gifts for the family to enjoy
Do it yourself birthday gifts that would impress even the toughest of judges
So you’ve got someone’s birthday coming up, and you are having trouble thinking about what to get them. Well, what about instead of spending a load of money on something that someone else probably has, why not try and make them their very own personalized unique gift? It honestly is so easy and will be sure to win you some brownie points! So, let’s get straight to work with some delicious homemade chocolates!
You will need:
- A silicone chocolate mold of your choice – literally any shapes you like
- 1 rubber spatula
- A sheet of baking paper (Parchment paper)
- A bag of chocolate chips (milk, dark or white)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) of coconut oil
- Fillings and toppings of your choice (nuts/raisins/sprinkles/caramel/Turkish delight)
- Enough mini cupcake paper cups for each chocolate sweet
- A decorative box to put your chocolates in once they are ready
Let’s get started!
- First start off by melting your chocolate chips and coconut oil – (this can be done either on the stove, in a glass bowl on top of a saucepan with water in the saucepan, or in the microwave. Just remember to keep stirring!
- Once your chocolate and coconut has melted, take the spatula and spread the chocolate on the mold so that each figure is coated and none of the mold is visible at the bottom – this will be the base of the chocolates.
- Place in the freezer to cool.
- Once cooled down and hardened, remove from the freezer and add filling to each hole of the mold. Make sure that the fillings aren’t poking up out of the mold as you need the bottom of your chocolate sweets to be flat.
- Next, add The rest of the melted chocolate onto the silicone mold, making sure it covers everything.
- Now, for the messy part! Grab the spatula (it needs to be clean) and gently glide it across the mold, removing any excess chocolate.
- Place the mold back into the freezer for about 2 hours to harden completely.
- When the chocolate has hardened, pop each shape out of the mold and place onto the baking paper. Decorate each chocolate with the topping of your choice.
- Let sit for 30 mins
- Once they are ready, place each chocolate into the paper cupcake cups and then into the box.
And that’s it! A tasty treat ready to impress!
Creative DIY birthday gifts that will win you a gold star!
For a very creative DIY birthday gift, you could try this fantastic personalized scrabble picture. It’s so simple to do and all you need is a photo frame, some adhesive and an old scrabble game. This present is awesome because you can use the letters to make up words and names.
- First off, think of what you would like to spell out. This could be anything from names of people in the person’s family or things like “love, happiness” etc.
- Grab the letters and photo frame, open the frame and place the plain backing on your table.
- Decide what you are going to spell out and which word should go where.
- Attach the scrabble letters to the backing with the adhesive.
- Wait about 1 hour for the glue to properly seal each letter.
- Once dry, attach the backing into the photo frame and put the photo frame back together.
There you have it, a personalized, one of a kind gift!
Easy DIY birthday gifts for even when you’re feeling lazy
If you’re looking for an easy birthday present, this one is for you. It takes about 20 minutes to make and will really put a smile on their face! All you need is any sized/shaped/coloured gift box with a lid, some string or cotton, clear sticky tape and some spare cash, preferably in the form of banknotes. So far, you’re probably thinking that makes no sense. So pay attention and follow me!
What to do:
- Firstly: take the cotton and cut it into about 30 cm long pieces for however many banknotes you have.
- Once that is done, take a banknote and flatten it out. Now pinch the middle from both sides, so it looks like a bow.
- Attach a piece of string or cotton by one end to the banknote, and attach the other end of the string to the inside of the lid of the box with the sticky tape.
- Continue to do this with all the money in different places on the inside of the lid.
Once this is done, close the lid of the box back onto the box.
That’s all you have to do! So now when the person opens the box, there will be an array of butterfly money waiting to surprise them.
Birthday DIY gifts for the family to enjoy
Think about how good it feels when you receive a gift from a close friend or a relative… In the next part, I’ve given you some ideas on how you can surprise your loved ones.
Birthday DIY gifts for dad
Looking for simple DIY birthday gifts? Here’s an idea. Buying your dad something seems to be an extreme task, as he never needs or wants anything. Either that or he has already got one somewhere in the garage!
You might be wondering what you can do in this situation. This next DIY birthday gift is more of a keepsake as it’s one of a kind. Take a piece of blank card and some paints. Take chosen paints and your hands and have fun recreating the image shown above!
Birthday DIY gifts for mom
If you’re stuck on what to get your mum, buy her favourite perfume or jewellery. Wrap it up in a plain coloured box. On the top of the box, draw a vase. Buy some luscious smelling flowers and stick them to the box, so it looks as though the flowers are standing in the vase. You’ll be sure to put a smile on her face.
Handmade DIY birthday gifts for couples
Always a tricky one! What to get your partner. Here are some ideas for handmade DIY birthday gift for him. Get an empty box of chocolates, place some cupcake paper cups inside and fill each cup with coins and banknotes of your choice. Simple, easy and unique!
Next up, here’s an idea for a unique DIY birthday gift for her. Purchase some large mason jars with lids. Get her favourite chocolates and sweets and fill each jar. Add some special stickers on the front of the jars. If you want to make it slightly more fancy, complete with ribbon tied around the top! This is definitely in the category of fun DIY birthday gifts!