The spooky month is upon us, so it’s time to start planning kid-friendly Family Halloween activities 2022 to make October the best it can be. Some of our favorite things to do at this time of year include harvesting pumpkins, decorating them, making Halloween costumes, baking pumpkin pastries, and doing lots of themed crafts. Not to mention reading Halloween books, of course! Here’s a list of other fun party activities for the whole family!
Table of Contents
- Ideas for family Halloween activities 2022 with children?
Ideas for family Halloween activities 2022 with children?
From pumpkin carvings to haunted houses and indoor and outdoor decorations, you’ll find plenty of entertainment ideas and crafts to make with the kids for the big night. Also, don’t forget to prepare delicious Halloween treats. If you’ve got an epic night planned, you’ll also want to take a look at some costume inspiration for girls and boys. Finally, we suggest getting the whole family together on the couch with monster popcorn and chilling out with the best Halloween movies for kids.
DIY Halloween: Decorate a pumpkin like a fairy house
- Drill a hole in the bottom of a medium sized pumpkin; remove the pulp and seeds. Cut out the door, as well as a circular window in the door. Carve vertical lines on it with a linoleum carving tool, and insert toothpicks (shortened if necessary) to create the window grilles.
- Lightly draw a flower pattern on each side of the door with a pencil and use the linoleum carving tool to engrave it.
- Insert the door into the opening and hold it in place with toothpicks.
- For the porch lights and awning of your awesome DIY Halloween decoration: Hot glue mini glass balls into acorn heads to create lights; attach them to the pumpkin with hot glue. Cut half or two-thirds of a round piece of wood; attach it to the pumpkin above the door to create a canopy.
- For the top floor: Cut a hole in the bottom of a small brown or green squash; remove the pulp and seeds. Cut out a circular window and insert toothpicks (shortcuts if necessary) to create window grilles. Lightly draw a floral pattern around the window with a pencil and use a linoleum engraving tool to engrave it. Stack the pumpkins and add round wooden steps and leaves.
Halloween activities: Playing Tic Tac Toe with natural materials from the garden
DIY tic tac toe is a great idea! Take a round wooden log slice and four strips of leather. Arrange a grid with the strips and secure each end with a thumbtack. Next, collect two groups of five objects found in the garden, such as small pebbles and pine cones, which will serve as game pieces. Alternatively, if your wood puck is larger, you can also use decorated mini pumpkins.
Ring toss game with butternut squash
Wrap washi tape around half a dozen small butternut squash, varying the colors and patterns on each one. Line up the gourds and toss the rings around the neck to play.
Family Halloween Activities 2022: Making Witch Slime
This awesome Halloween craft is both a hands-on science lesson and a great sensory activity for the little ones.
- Add 3 cups of shaving foam to a bowl. Also add food coloring as desired and half a cup of Elmer’s White Glue.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of saline solution. Stir until the slime forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If your DIY slime is still too sticky, you may need a few more drops of saline solution. Start by pouring a few drops on your hands and kneading the slime longer.
- Add fun Halloween ingredients like glitter, spiders, googly eyes, etc.
Make Halloween Costumes
There’s nothing wrong with getting costumes from a store, but you can challenge your family to find an item at home and create a costume from it (possibly supplementing with store-bought or handcrafted items). Grab some sheets and dress up as a classic ghost or transform yourself into a black cat. Or dig the depths of your closet and get a little more creative. Also, it’s a way to save money.
Family Halloween activities with salt dough
Make a Halloween Pinata
DIY Halloween Lantern
Toilet paper craft ideas for Halloween