How to Do Ghost Makeup for Halloween? Step-by-Step Instructions
Doing ghost makeup for Halloween isn’t just about putting on white makeup and saying “Boo!” There are makeup techniques that can help you achieve great results with little time and effort!
Remember the days when all you had to do to be a ghost on Halloween was cut a few holes in a sheet and pull it over your head? Fast-forward to 2023! Today, Halloween costumes are expected to be well-thought-out, but not everyone has the time for that. Luckily, you can take your ghost costume to the next level with a little makeup. Just follow the instructions in this article!
Table of Contents
How to do Halloween Ghost Makeup? Step-by-Step Instructions
If you’ve completely forgotten about putting together a costume for your work party or other Halloween event, this ghost makeup guide is exactly what you should have in your bag! A scary face, a little black dress, and you’re an undead beauty who won’t be easily forgotten!
Start by Preparing Your Skin
You probably won’t be applying your Halloween makeup until the evening. This means your skin may have leftover makeup, oil, and sweat that has built up throughout the day. To maintain your cream base (or any makeup for that matter), you need to start fresh. So, wash your face with your regular facial cleanser. Tip: If you are particularly prone to oily skin, now is a good time to use a facial toner. Then dry your face well. Now that you’re well prepared, it’s time to start doing your ghost makeup.
Apply a Gray-White Cream Base
For this special look, the easiest way is to purchase a Halloween makeup set. One like this contains a lot of white or off-white cream base, which you’ll need for all or most of your visible skin. If this option isn’t for you, turn to theatrical makeup websites to get exactly what you need. Be sure to do an allergy test beforehand. You don’t want your new makeup to give you an itchy rash or send you to the emergency room. You just want to look dead, not have a near-death experience.
Once you’ve chosen your gray and white makeup, apply it all over your face and neck (if visible). The rest of your Halloween ghost makeup is in the details. Here are some more tips:
- Sponges work better than fingers or foundation brushes for applying Halloween makeup to the face and neck.
- Skip the blush altogether. Even if you are a ghost bride, you shouldn’t blush at all.
- If you feel like you want to upstage your face for a harsher look, use a matte gray eyeshadow and sweep it under your cheekbones, on the sides of your nose, around your jawline, and near your hairline. This is basically the same technique you use to heat your face with bronzer, but now you cool it down to look evil.
Use Two Shades of Gray for Your Eyes
Since ghosts stay up all night walking the halls rattling chains, and face and eye creams don’t work on them, they inevitably end up with dark circles under their eyes. You can use two shades of gray for this, a navy blue and gray, or gray and black. It’s entirely up to you.
- Using an eyeshadow brush (the application doesn’t have to be too precise, any fluffy brush will do), apply the darker color under your eye in the inner corner. Blend them outwards and downwards. In the outer corner, apply the lighter color and blend it inwards (until it meets the dark color) and downwards.
- If you want to add dimension to your eyes, use black eyeliner along the upper and lower lash lines. Try making the line in the middle of the lid thicker to make the eye appear rounder.
Also read: Cat Face Makeup for Kids: Halloween Ideas That Take 10 Minutes
Ghost Makeup: What Lipstick to Wear?
There are many lip color options when putting makeup on your face to look like a ghost.
- Black, blue, deep burgundy – any of these lipstick colors will do. You can even opt for a nude lip color, then tone it down and cool it down with a blue lipstick or gloss.
- If you want your lips to disappear, use a very light concealer.
- Do you want your lips to look chapped? Use a concealer with a dry consistency or a matte lipstick in a nude shade. If you don’t apply a lip balm or a lip scrub to your lips beforehand, they will quickly look dry and chapped without the need for any special tricks.
Also read: Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas for Women, Men & Children