Glass shelves are not only fashionable but practical and extremely popular element of interiors in any style, from minimalist to classical and Art Deco. They are versatile and functional. Glass wall shelves will be an excellent option to place books or display luxurious items and objects. Thanks to transparency, such a shelf allows you to view the interior from various positions and make the space more interesting. Glass shelving is the best solution for those who want to create an original and modern looking interior. Such shelves are used in shops and boutiques, in offices, bathrooms, kitchens, windows, inside cabinets, etc.
Advantages and disadvantages of glass shelves
Compared with materials such as wood, metal or plastic, glass constructions have several indisputable advantages:
- Resistance to high humidity, unlike, for example, wood. High humidity and direct exposure to water do not affect the appearance of glass or change its color. The only thing that can happen is that it will have stains that can be easily removed.
- Resistance to temperature and biological hazards – microorganisms, parasites and various fungi are not dangerous to glass. It also easily tolerates temperature changes – it can even be placed in the kitchen, next to the stove.
- Resistance to sunlight. Glass is not affected by direct sunlight, does not fade, even if it is constantly exposed to sun rays.
- Resistance to aggressive chemicals – the shelves can be washed using any substances. This will not affect either the strength or appearance of the shelves.
- Easy to clean and maintain. Glass is resistant to aggressive chemistry but in most cases it is simply not necessary to use such detergents. It is enough to wipe the shelves with a dry cloth, or, if they are not dusty, but dirty, with a mild soap solution.
- Resistance to odors. While wood can absorb odors glass is not affected at all.
- Glass is environmentally friendly and is not hazardous to health.
- Reliability and durability. A well-fixed shelf made of tempered glass can withstand heavy load. You can put a TV or a dozen of books on the a shelf made of tempered glass. In addition, over time, it does not deteriorate, does not deform, and can serve for decades.
- Aesthetic appeal. Glass is beautiful. It will make the room look more spacious and will help to avoid overloading the interior. Thanks to modern technology, glass shelves can have a wide variety of shapes – angular, oval, classic rectangular or round.
- Big choice and design opportunities. Glass can be frosted or transparent, colored or colorless, engraved or flat, cheap or expensive. Moreover, glass is combined with other materials- metal, wood, fabric, allowing you to make different combinations for any decor style.
Among the disadvantages of glass shelves are:
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. If you do not take expensive reinforced glass, your shelves will not be able to withstand heavy load and can break.
- Slippery surface. If the glass is not specific, treated with sand, and therefore rough, then its surface remains slippery.
- Price. Truly beautiful and durable glass is expensive.
Glass shelves in home interior designs
Initially, glass shelves were used in bathrooms as they are practical, functional and do not overload the appearance of the room. Gradually, the shelves appeared in hallways, corridors and even in kitchens. As for the living rooms – few materials can decorate the interior as much, giving it elegance, simplicity and chic. Shelves perform practical and aesthetic functions and due to the fact that they come in such a wide variety, they can serve as a wonderful decoration for any interior style.
The huge variety of forms often provides numerous opportunities for decorating the glass itself which increases its visual appeal. From LED lighting to creative stained glass compositions, edge processing or tinting of the glass – the choice is literally endless. The market offers a wide variety of designs which can be used for different purposes.
Shelves for books look light and elegant. You can choose designs in a classic form, as well as small wall shelving systems, tower shelves, which are a great space savings solution and come in a large number of designs. There are models made of tempered glass that can withstand a load of up to 15 kilograms/33 pounds. Make sure that wall mounted glass shelves are equipped with high quality, durable fastening.
Suspended glass shelves are a stylish solution for your home. The most fashionable products are made as if they have no supports and hung in the air. You can arrange flowers or books, colorful tableware, glasses or ceramic items which will look very original and will not burden the overall appearance of the room.
Choosing glass shelves for the bathroom is always a winning solution. You can store personal items, hygiene products, cosmetics, candles, essential oils, etc.
In conclusion, we can say that glass shelves are universal and you can use them in any room of the house, big or small. With a competent and well thought approach to the selection of glass shelves they can be a great element in the design of any interior space.