How to clean wooden spoons effectively? Learn how to deep clean and get rid of odours naturally!
Taking proper care of your kitchen utensils is an essential part of running a successful household. If you know how to do it correctly, not only will you effectively fight off harmful bacteria, but you can prolong the lifespan of your items. And who wouldn’t want that? Every housekeeper has at least one wooden spoon that they use for cooking their favourite soups and stews. But with time and improper cleaning, debris can begin to stick, and the wood can come to crack. Then arises the question “How to clean wooden spoons effectively?”. Find out by reading the following article.
Table of Contents
How to clean wooden spoons effectively?
Here are a few steps to always keep in mind when cleaning your wooden spoons. If you stick to them, you should prolong the longevity of your favourite wooden kitchen utensils.
- Firstly, after you have used your wooden spoon, make sure you rinse it with warm water.
- Then add a mild soap. Soaps made from harsh chemicals can wear away wood faster. Scrub the spoon gently with a sponge or wash cloth.
- After you have removed all the food debris, rinse again with warm water to wash away the soap.
- Always let your wooden spoons air dry! First pat it lightly with a clean cloth. Then put it in a dry rack to fully dry. Make sure it is standing, and not laid down.
If your wooden spoons look dried out:
It’s normal for your wooden spoons to look a bit dry. But if you want to make them look anew, follow these tips! Rub them with a mineral oil or beeswax. This will get some life back to their appearance. Don’t use food-based oils, as these can give an unpleasant odour or taste to your wooden spoon.
If build-up has formed
Unfortunately, build-up is something that very often forms on wooden kitchen utensils. Luckily for you, it’s very easy to get rid of! And you can do it the all natural way, if you are a fan of cleaning with organic ingredients that you can easily find in every kitchen. All you need is some white vinegar and water. Soak the wooden spoon in a 1:1 solution of vinegar and water and let it stay overnight.
How to get rid of unpleasant odours?
We have all come to face this issue. You are making your favourite soup, and using your favourite wooden spoon (yes, I have one) and if you have a strong sense of smell like I do, you notice something funny. An unpleasant smell coming from your wooden kitchen utensil is an often result of prolonged soaking. I mean, I get it. Not everyone washes their dishes right away. But to preserve your wooden spoons, you have to be mindful!
With baking soda
To get rid of the bad smell, we are going to use an all natural mix of baking soda and water! Any real housekeeper knows that baking soda is key to many stubborn stains and smells. The soda neutralizes acids, which results in an odour-free wooden spoon. Create a mix of one tablespoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of water. Apply the remedy to the wooden spoon. Rinse after and let air dry.
However, do keep in mind that not everything can be cleaned with baking soda. Read this article to find out what you should not.
With lemon juice
Don’t have baking soda at home? Not to worry. You can rid your wooden spoons of the bad smell with lemon juice as well. All you need to do is simply soak the spoon/s in the juice to draw out any odours. Again, rinse after and let air dry. Lemons are also very effective when it comes to cleaning the oven. You can get spotless and all natural results!
How do you deep clean wooden spoons?
To deep clean a wooden spoon, you will need hydrogen peroxide. This will kill any bacteria that could have developed in your kitchen utensil. Place the wooden spoons in hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes to soak. After, rinse thoroughly with water and let the spoons air-dry fully.
More tips and tricks for clean wooden spoons
By now, you know how to effectively clean your wooden spoons and prolong their lifespan. Keeping that in mind, here are a few more tips and tricks for keeping your wooden kitchen utensils spotless:
- Make sure you rinse your wooden spoons immediately after you have used them. This will prevent stains and unpleasant odours.
- Don’t submerge or soak the spoons in water for too long! This can cause them to crack. Leave the heavy soaking only when you are deep cleaning them.
- Clean your wooden spoons often. Be sure to use the deep cleaning method every now and then.
- Never place a wooden spoon in the dishwasher! The heat, detergent and heavy water pressure will cause them to wear away faster.
- The boiling water hack has come to be quite popular. However, I would advise against it. Use any of the other useful remedies listed here.
Wondering how to clean your coffee maker with natural remedies? Read all about it now!