Make peanut butter at home: How to prepare it easily and use it in delicious recipes?
Homemade peanut butter is a concentrated food that can potentially be beneficial to your health and is a natural alternative to store-bought peanut butter because it contains no sugar. Make your own peanut butter at home! It is much cheaper and tastier than the commercial versions. What is more, it is super easy to prepare and serves as a spread or as an ingredient in various sweet or savory recipes.
Table of Contents
Make your own peanut butter at home
Make your own peanut butter at home – you know it is pretty easy, if you’ve tried before. But if you’ve never made it yourself, now you’ll see how incredibly easy it is.
Prepare peanut butter: 5-minute recipe
You can make peanut butter yourself in less than 5 minutes, and it tastes simply delicious. Store it in a cool, dry place if you like it runny, or put it in the fridge to make it more solid.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Servings: 16 tablespoons
- 3 2/3 cups (450 g) roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- If you want to roast the peanuts yourself, first place them on a rimmed baking sheet and bake them at 356°F (180 °C) for 8–10 minutes. Let them cool down.
- Put the peanuts in your food processor and put the lid on.
- Turn on the food processor and blend the peanuts for about 4 minutes. You will notice that at first they will become thick and crumbly, possibly forming into a ball, and then they will begin to become a thick, smooth paste.
- Remove the lid, add the salt, and blend for another 30–60 seconds until the peanut paste is creamy.
- Transfer it to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for months or a few weeks in a cool, dry place.
Vegan breakfast with bananas
Do you like healthy low-carb breakfasts? Try this excellent combination of peanut butter and banana for breakfast.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes (plus overnight cooling)
- 3 3/4 cups (300 g) oatmeal
- 2 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 medium bananas, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 g) soy yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 g) peanut butter
- Put the oatmeal and cinnamon in a large pot with 1.3 liters of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the oatmeal is cooked, and the mixture has thickened.
- Add in the chopped bananas, let them cook for 1 minute, and then remove the pot from the heat. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes, then add and stir in 6 tablespoons of soy yogurt.
- Stir the peanut butter into the remaining yogurt until everything is well mixed.
- Spread half of the oat mixture in the bottom of six glass cups and top with half of the nutty yogurt. Cover with the rest of the oat mixture and then layer with the remaining yogurt mixture.
- If you keep the dessert covered and refrigerated, it will last for up to four days.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon to taste before serving.
Spicy soup with peanut butter
This rich and flavorful peanut soup is an extremely flavorful dish to make with your homemade peanut butter.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (120 g) peanut butter
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 800 ml vegetable broth
- 400 g diced canned tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fresh sprig of thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 cup (60 g) unsalted peanuts
- In a large saucepan, sauté the carrots and onions in olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and let the ingredients sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add in the sweet potato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add in the peanut butter and curry paste until well combined. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and paprika powder.
- Bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and sprig of thyme and stir the soup until well combined.
- Sprinkle them with peanuts.
These crunchy chocolate peanut butter bars are made with only 5 ingredients, they are vegan, gluten-free and so easy to make! They will become your new favorite sweet treat!
- 3/4 cup (180 g) peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (90 g) agave syrup (optionally honey or maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) puffed quinoa
- 1/2 cup (90 g) chocolate drops, plain
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- A few pinches of sea salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and agave syrup.
- Once the mixture is already smooth, add in the puffed quinoa.
- Pour the dough into a greased bread pan.
- Press it down until it forms an even layer on the bottom.
- Melt the chocolate drops in a small bowl. You can use the microwave for this, but make sure you stir it every 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate on top of the crunchy peanut layer and place in the freezer for a few hours.
- Cut it into eight squares with a sharp knife and sprinkle them with sea salt.
- Keep the bars in the refrigerator until you want to eat them.