Low carb breakfast to lose weight – Our top 5 ideas and tips for protein-rich and delicious meals!
Anyone trying to lose weight knows that a healthy, low carb breakfast to lose weight can help you to achieve that. The combination of nutritious ingredients is designed to keep energy levels stable, concentration sharp and hunger at bay. If you are following a special diet plan, such as a low carb diet for weight loss, it becomes even more important to eat these foods. In addition, you can be strategic when choosing products for your morning meals by following some proven nutritional tips.
Table of Contents
- What are the advantages of a low carb breakfast for weight loss?
- Prepare pancakes with only two ingredients
- Low carb breakfast for losing weight with quick bread made from seeds
- Combine the low carb breakfast bowl with cottage cheese and various ingredients
- Combine yoghurt and strawberries as a low carb breakfast to lose weight
- Use tofu instead of minced meat as a vegan substitute for other meals
What are the advantages of a low carb breakfast for weight loss?
Following a low carb diet can only be beneficial if you’re not eating too few carbohydrates. You should also make sure that you are providing your body with sufficient other important nutrients such as protein. Such high-protein, low carb breakfasts will accordingly prepare you for a successful healthy diet so that you can feel good about losing weight. Complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, are packed with important nutrients. They provide most of the fiber in a meal. Fiber is great for weight loss as it helps you feel full and satisfied after meals, which is why you shouldn’t be too low on carbs.
In addition, it’s recommended that you get about 40 percent of your calories from carbohydrates on a low-carb diet. You should consume at least 120 grams/4 oz of total carbohydrates per day. This is a healthier approach to a low-carb diet than what ketogenic diets offer, and generally more doable than trying to stick to a super-restrictive low-carb diet. So what can you eat if you want to cook a high protein, low carb breakfast to lose weight? The answer: lots of healthy and tasty food!
The list includes some of the best ingredients for a healthy and filling breakfast, including vegetarian and vegan options so you don’t just eat eggs and meat as keto diet breakfast recipes would recommend. Combine these foods with fresh fruits and vegetables and other healthy low carb foods to create a well-rounded and filling breakfast for weight loss:
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter and other nut butters
- natural yoghurt
- nuts & seeds
Prepare pancakes with only two ingredients
Delicious and incredibly easy pancakes are best enjoyed right after cooking. With just eggs and a banana, you can prepare healthy low-carb pancakes without grain. Instead of maple syrup or jam, make a peanut butter sauce to drizzle on top and serve with a side of Greek yogurt and fiber-rich berries to complete the meal.
- Puree eggs and banana in a blender until homogeneous.
- Then, lightly oil a large non-stick frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Using 2 tablespoons, add batter to pan in 4 mounds for each pancake.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges look dry.
- Then, using a thin spatula, gently flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until browned on the bottom.
- Finally, transfer the pancakes to a plate.
- Lightly oil the pan again and repeat with the remaining batter.
Low carb breakfast for losing weight with quick bread made from seeds
The recipe idea for this low carb bread includes seeds and flours that mimic the loaf of classic bread while keeping the carb count low. Top a slice with cream cheese and strawberries, sliced apples and melted cheddar cheese, or hummus and cilantro for enough calories and protein for a filling breakfast. It can also be stored airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- ¼ cup unsalted shelled sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup unsalted shelled pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons of flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- First, preheat the oven to maximum.
- Then grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Start by combining sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, and sesame seeds in a skillet and toast over medium-high heat, stirring, until light brown and beginning to pop, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the seed mixture in a small bowl and transfer the remaining seeds to a large bowl.
- Then, in the large bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, chia seeds, and maple syrup (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Then transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with the reserved seeds, gently press them into the batter to help them stick and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
Combine the low carb breakfast bowl with cottage cheese and various ingredients
Cottage cheese is another healthy low carb breakfast ingredient that you can enjoy in many different ways. As a breakfast bowl, it can be sweet or savory. In addition, 1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese provides 92 calories, 5 grams of carbohydrates, and 12 grams of protein. If you top this with foods like bacon and avocado or blueberries and walnuts, you actually make a healthy breakfast out of it. Just try the following combinations!
Cottage Cheese with Blueberries & Walnuts:
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
Cottage Cheese with Bacon, Avocado & Pepperoni:
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 sliced bacon cubes
- 3 slices of avocado
- crushed red pepper to taste
Cottage Cheese with Pineapple & Macadamia Nuts:
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
Cottage Cheese with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Black Pepper:
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Ground pepper to taste
Combine yoghurt and strawberries as a low carb breakfast to lose weight
Protein-rich Greek yogurt and sweet strawberries can also make for a super simple and filling meal in the morning. The idea for such an easy recipe without cooking or baking is also suitable as a snack between meals or during the working day. In addition, you can double the quantities so that there are enough ingredients for a nutritious breakfast. As a general rule, however, ½ cup of low fat plain Greek yogurt and ¼ cup of chopped fresh strawberries should do the trick. Simply add yogurt to a bowl and garnish with strawberries or other seasonal fruit of your choice. You can’t go wrong by adding a handful of rolled oats or nuts like almonds, either.
Use tofu instead of minced meat as a vegan substitute for other meals
Firm tofu is also ideal for meatless culinary creations or for a quick low carb breakfast to lose weight. This vegan substitute tastes great in lasagne, wraps, soups, etc. However, if you want to enhance the flavor, garlic powder, paprika or soy sauce will do, but feel free to add your favorite flavorings as well. Also, combine tofu with salsa, shredded cheese, diced avocado and hot sauce for delicious veggie breakfast burritos. Here’s a recipe idea for it.
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained, crumbled and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- First, combine tofu, soy sauce, garlic powder, and paprika in a medium bowl.
- Then heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Then simply add the tofu mixture and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tofu is nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- The filling can then be kept fresh in the fridge for up to 2 days.