Melanzane alla Parmigiana recipe: It’s so easy to prepare the Italian eggplant casserole
This classic recipe from northern Italy is a great way to serve eggplants. Since the purple vegetable is still in season, this recipe is the perfect way to prepare the delicious eggplant. By layering them with Parmesan and tomatoes and then baking them in the oven, you get a totally flavorful, delicious vegetable dish. Try the original recipe for Melanzane alla Parmigiana – it goes perfectly with all types of roasted meat and also with roasted fish.
Where does the dish come from?
Melanzane alla Parmigiana is less well known than the Pizza Margarita or the Pasta Carbonara, but it is one of the typical specialties of Italian cuisine, which is worth more than just a detour. This traditional dish, made with eggplant, mozzarella, tomato sauce and parmesan, is a delicious blend of typical Italian ingredients. While the name Parmigiana suggests a possible origin from Parma, it is (also) of Sicilian and Neapolitan descent, without any real descent being clearly proven. The main thing is that the dish tastes great and is perfect both as a side dish and as a vegetarian main course.
Melanzane alla Parmigiana Recipe
Fancy a delicious vegetable casserole for dinner? With our recipe you can easily prepare the Italian eggplant casserole and spoil your family or guests with a delicious dish. Follow the recipe and enjoy!
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 onions
- 500 g peeled tomatoes, diced (fresh or canned)
- 1 bunch of basil
- olive oil
For the Parmigiana:
- 3 purple eggplants
- 100 g wheat flour type 550
- sunflower oil
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 100 grams of mozzarella
- 1 bunch of basil
- For the tomato sauce: Peel the onions and cut into fine strips. In a saucepan over high heat, heat a drizzle of olive oil, add the onions and cook until lightly browned. Add the peeled tomatoes and basil and cook over low heat for about 40 minutes, stirring regularly.
- For the casserole: Wash the eggplants and cut into slices about 1 cm thick.
- Place sunflower oil in a large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat (or turn on a deep fryer to 180°C).
- Cut the mozzarella into strips.
- Dust the eggplant slices with flour and fry until they have a nice golden brown color. (Alternatively, you can fry the in a pan with 3-4 tablespoons of oil, grill them or bake them in the oven.)
- Place the fried eggplants on paper towels to soak up any excess oil, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pour 5 tablespoons of tomato sauce into a casserole dish, place a layer of eggplants on top, cover with tomato sauce, add some mozzarella strips on top and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Repeat the process until you layer all the eggplants. Finish with cheese.
- Place the casserole in the oven at 180°C for one hour (the mozzarella and parmesan must be well baked when you take the dish out of the oven).
- Serve Melanzane alla Parmigiana with a few basil leaves.
Tip: For a larger casserole, double the amount of ingredients in the recipe.
If you would like to prepare an entire Italian menu, then of course a suitable dessert should not be missing. How about Affogato, panna cotta, limoncello cake, semifredo or tiramisu? Whichever one you choose, your friends and family will be delighted!