How long to microwave a potato? Check out the fastest way to prepare stuffed potatoes!
There is nothing I love more than a simple meal! When we are talking about simplicity, I cannot skip to mention the potatoes. I can eat them in any way possible – french fries, mashed, boiled or baked. Baking a potato can take a very long time. However, have you ever tried microwaving it? It is certainly one of the easiest ways to prepare a delicious stuffed potato. How long to microwave the potato? Let’s find out!
Table of Contents
How long to microwave a potato?
Cooking a potato in the microwave can turn into your new favorite way of cooking. Usually it is used to prepare a jacket potato, which is a baked potato with the skin still on it. This method doesn’t take a lot of time, and it gives you the same results as baking in the oven for 30-45 minutes. If you are in a hurry, but still want something delicious as suggest trying it. Let’s see some of the best recipes and how long does it take to prepare them!
1. Baked potato in the microwave, simple recipe
This is the ideal recipe for a tasty side dish that will not have you wait for a long time. It is yummy, and it does not require you to have a lot of patience. Let’s see the ingredients that you are going to need for a simple jacket potato.
- 1 large potato (1 potato is a portion for 1 person)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a spring of rosemary for flavor (optional)
How to prepare it:
The overall time that this cooking method is going to take is 12 minutes! Yes, it takes about 10 minutes to microwave a potato, however keep in mind that depends on the microwave itself and the potato you are going to choose. Let’s see the step-by-step guide!
- First, choose the potato that you are going to cook. Wash it well and scrub it to remove all the dirt. Keep in mind that you should clean the skin very well, since it is essential for this type of recipes.
- Use a fork to make holes on the potato.
- Now, put it on a safe-plate and microwave it for 5 minutes. Flip it over and then microwave for another 5 minutes. I usually set it on the highest degree possible.
- Take the potato out and let it cool.
- Cut the potato gently, to create so sort of a bowl and then fill it with the butter, and spices.
Microwaving for 10 minutes will give you the perfect tender jacket potatoes. If you find that this time is not enough to cook it in your microwave, try to set it for 5 more minutes.
2. Jacket potato and toppings
If you already adapt the method of microwaving a potato, now we can get a little bit more fancy. The simple butter jacket potato is delicious, but if you add the right toppings, you will have a different experience. That dish is called loaded baked potato. There are no strict rules here, I am just going to give you a few suggestions for tasty toppings, that will go perfectly with these potatoes. Check out the top ingredients!
Best toppings for jacket (baked) potatoes:
- sour cream
- crispy bacon pieces
- melted cheddar cheese
- Butter and Parmesan cheese
- Spicy chili sauce
- chopped baked salmon
- cooked minced beef
If you are planning to make them soon, I suggest to wait until Thanksgiving. You can wait for the turkey leftovers and stuffed the potatoes with the meat and pour a little bit of cranberry sauce with chives. It will be perfect! However, you can also make them as a Thanksgiving make-ahead appetizers.
3. How to prepare mashed potatoes using our microwave?
What if I tell you, a microwave can come in handy when preparing mashed potatoes as well? No more waiting for the water and potatoes to boil for several minutes! Your friends are coming for a last-minute dinner? This is the perfect time to try this out!
- 2 1/2 lb (1.5 kg) potatoes
- 1 cup (245 ml) milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in cubes or chunks. Washed them very well and put them in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and make holes on it using a fork or a knife.
- Set your microwave on high and microwave the potatoes for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Trying poking the potatoes to check if they are soft. If not, set them for 5 more minutes or until tender.
- Warm the butter and the milk. The butter should be melted. Pour the butter on the potatoes and then the milk.
- Start mashing the ingredients together using a hand masher or a fork.
- Add in the spices and mix well.
What is the best type of potatoes to microwave?
How long to microwave a potato depends not only on your microwave and the size of the potato, but also from the type. The Russet potatoes have a thick skin and are perfect if you are going to use this method for cooking. You can also try the same recipes with sweet potato. They can even take less time to microwave than the regular potatoes. If you need more inspiration, check out more stuffed baked potatoes recipes.