Fluffy dough, aromatic caramel and delicate chocolate that melts in your mouth… All this comes with the delicious Millionaire shortbread. Anyone who loves a dessert that is simple, yet super delicious and full of chocolate, will like this recipe. If you have heard of this deliciousness, the preparation is not rocket science and anyone can do it. So if you’re looking for a baking recipe to try for the weekend, the Millionaires shortbread recipe is a wonderful choice. We will explain how to prepare the cake with caramel.
Table of Contents
Millionaires shortbread recipe: Is that what you’re baking this weekend?
A layer of base, caramel cream on top and finally a layer of chocolate – that describes the millionaire shortbread visually, but you have to discover the breathtaking taste for yourself, because it is difficult to put into words. In the bottom of the slices, the butter in particular provides a great aroma. With the following Millionaires Shortbread recipe you bake about 36 small pieces :
For the cake base:
- 225 grams of flour
- 175g cold butter
- 90 grams of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the caramel cream and chocolate:
- 150 grams of butter
- 400 grams of condensed milk
- 100 grams of gold syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 350 g milk or dark chocolate
- optional: 4 tablespoons chopped and toasted hazelnuts for garnish
How to prepare the shortbread cake base?
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees and line a square baking tray (23 cm) with baking paper.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the butter cubes and the flour into fine crumbs.
- Pour in the sugar and salt as well, creating a well-mixed texture.
- Use a spoon to spread the mixture on the prepared tray. It should reach the edges of the sheet and become as evenly thin and flat as possible.
- Bake the base for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool.
How to make the salted caramel?
- In a saucepan, put in the butter, condensed milk, salt, and syrup to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly until butter is melted.
- Then increase the heat and let the cream simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and becomes this caramel color, it should take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spread the salted caramel evenly over the cooled base.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for an hour.
How to make the chocolate glaze?
- You can then add the chocolate layer at least an hour before serving.
- You can melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals in the microwave (stirring after each interval).
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the cold caramel.
- Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Once the chocolate has set (takes at least 1 hour) you can cut the salted caramel shortbread into slices (9 large or up to 36 small).
Vegan Millionaires shortbread recipe
If you prefer it vegan, you can also choose the following Millionaires Shortbread recipe. Instead of regular butter, use vegan alternatives such as nut butters, while substituting coconut cream for the condensed milk. This is how you proceed for about 18 slices:
For the ground:
- 210 grams of flour
- 190g vegan butter
- 90 g powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the caramel sauce:
- 255 g nut butter of your choice
- 170 g maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, melted or 360 g coconut cream
- 220g brown sugar
For the chocolate glaze:
- 225 g vegan dark chocolate chips
- 5 tbsp coconut cream (plant-based milk works as an alternative)
- optional: sea salt or coarse salt for garnish
How to prepare the vegan dessert?
- In a bowl, beat the powdered sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add flour and salt and stir into a smooth batter.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan. It should be about the same thickness everywhere.
- Bake the crust for 9 to 13 minutes, until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before placing in the fridge to cool completely.
2 ways to prepare the caramel
- Simply mix all the ingredients together and spread on the cold base.
- Place in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes or until the top layer of caramel is set (the caramel does not need to be frozen).
- Heat the sugar and coconut cream in a saucepan over medium-high, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat and let the caramel simmer for 7 to 10 minutes (it’s done when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and it turns dark).
- Spread the caramel sauce over the cake base and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
The chocolate glaze
- Heat chocolate chips and milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir regularly until everything is melted and well combined.
- Pour the frosting over the cake and sprinkle with grains of salt, if you like.
- Place the cake back in the freezer for 10 minutes (the one in the fridge for longer if you’re not in a hurry).
- Cut the Millionaires Shortbread into slices.
You can also prepare the Millionaires shortbread as muffins and get cute little tarts that way. Potted with dried raspberries, you will make your family or your guests fall in love with this dessert!