Discover the Wonderful Sea Moss Benefits that Will Change Your Life!
You’ve probably overheard people talking about sea moss on social media, but what exactly is it, and how does it impact us? This vegetable is packed with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that act as an immune boost, which we all need every now and then, but its positive impact doesn’t end there! If you’re curious to find out more about the incredible sea moss benefits, then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
What is Sea Moss?
Sea moss is an algae with incredible nutritious qualities. Although it’s low in fat, calories, protein, and sugar, it’s rich in iron and magnesium, which is what makes it so beneficial for our organism. It’s fascinating how only one ounce of sea moss can supply your body with 14% of your iron and 10% of your magnesium daily intake. Some sea moss species are also known to contain 92 out of the 102 minerals and vitamins that the human body consists of.
Sea Moss vs. Irish Sea Moss – What’s the Difference?
There are two main types of sea moss on the market – Irish moss, also known as Chondrus crispus, and Caribbean sea moss, also known as Gracilaria. The Caribbean sea moss grows in warm waters around Jamaica and San Lucia, and it’s probably the most popular and recognizable of the species. It grows all year round, which makes it more easily available and more affordable.
Irish moss, on the other hand, favors cold waters and grows along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean (around Ireland and Canada). Unlike the stringy Caribbean type, this one has a flower-like shape. It only grows on rocks, which makes it impossible for suppliers to pool-grow it or sell you a fake. However, this is also the reason why it’s significantly more expensive, as it’s difficult to obtain.
Avoid buying rope or pool-grown sea moss, as it’s not organic and contains much fewer minerals than the naturally derived species.
Sea Moss Impact on Hair and Skin
When you buy this algae in the form of a gel, you can easily implement it into your beauty routine to nourish and strengthen your hair. Use it as a hair mask to achieve the following results:
- Hair growth – The vitamin E in the gel aids the hair growth process.
- Anti hair loss – Iron deficiency is the most common cause of hair loss at all ages. Sea moss is a rich source of iron, which helps combat this issue.
- Moisturizer – For those with a dry, itchy, and irritated scalp, the sea moss gel might just be the solution you’ve been looking for! It’s rich in vitamin A, which improves sebum production and moisturizes and protects your scalp from irritation.
Another one of its fascinating effects is how quickly it helps with clearing and regenerating irritated skin. You can directly apply sea moss gel as a face mask, which will help with:
- Decreasing inflammation in the skin
- Increasing skin elasticity
- Healing irritations caused by skin conditions (psoriasis, eczema, etc.)
- Clearing acne
Read also: How to Remove Acne Scars Naturally in a Week? Find Home Remedies That ACTUALLY Help!
Sea Moss Benefits for Women
Many studies suggest that this red alga has been shown to decrease cholesterol by creating bacteriodetes that aid the weight loss process. It is also a great source of iodine, which can help improve thyroid function. However, you must be careful about not taking too much, as this will lead to excessive iodine in your body, which can be associated with heavy metal poisoning. If you’re struggling with gut problems, you can take sea moss as a prebiotic as it promotes healthy bacteria, which your immune system and microbiome love!
Sea Moss Benefits for Men
Sea moss is very rich in taurine and can help with muscle healing, which is extremely beneficial for athletes or people who train a lot. It’s also a source of Omega-3 acids, which aid the cardiovascular function. If you have a heart condition or get frequent palpitations, you can combine it with fish oil, garlic, and chia seeds.
How to Make Your Own Sea Moss Gel?
Depending on which part of the world you live in, supplying the raw seaweeds might be much easier and cheaper than a store-bought jar of sea moss gel. Here’s how you can quickly make your own at home:
- Wash the sea moss thoroughly with clean water.
- Put it in a bowl with water and leave it in your fridge to soak overnight. Keep in mind that it will triple in size.
- The next day, remove the sea moss from the bowl and pop it in the blender. Add some spring water and blend until it thickens.
- You can store your gel in a glass container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Read also: Beauty coaching: How to choose a face serum – the essential skincare routine (+easy DIY idea)