We have selected some delicious shrimp recipes that everyone will be happy to include in the menu of the family. Shrimp is a healthy seafood with delicious dietary meat. They are cooked quickly and easily and if you know a few simple rules, then it will not be difficult to prepare a seafood treat!
What is important to know about shrimp prior cooking?
- Shrimp recipes – Classic Prawn Cocktail
- Shrimp recipes – Salad with Prawn and Avocado
- Shrimp Recipes – Mediterranean Style Prawns
- Creamy Tuscan Style Shrimp Recipe
- Honey Garlic Grilled Shrimps Recipe
- Tomato Spinach Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- Bacon and Shrimp Corn Chowder Recipe
- Fried Rice and Shrimp Recipe
On the first place – what is the difference between shrimps and prawns? Very often the terms prawns and shrimp are used interchangeably and many people think that these are one and the same. Yes, they are closely related, yet there are some differences.
Prawns and shrimp have various differences in anatomy because they come from different branches of the crustacean family. They live in different types of water and prawns are larger than shrimp. However, in terms of taste, texture and flavor, they can be used interchangeably in the kitchen.
What is important to know about shrimp prior cooking?
Northern, king or tiger prawns vary in size and cost. Larger crustaceans are more expensive. Shrimp are usually sold by weight or packaged in packages. You can buy fresh shrimp, but frozen is also suitable for cooking. Pay attention to the expiration date and appearance.
How to thaw seafood? To properly defrost the shrimp, place the plate on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator and wait for the ice to melt. For faster thawing, place the bag in room temperature water.
Cook only fresh-frozen shrimp. The market offers ready-to-consume shrimp which has been boiled and then frozen.
To peel or not to peel? Shrimp can be cooked and eaten in shell. Undoubtedly, when you cook fresh prawns, they are tastier and more fragrant. The heads and shells give the broth a richer taste and the crustaceans acquire a unique aroma.
Do not overcook seafood! It is important not to cook shrimp too long, otherwise the meat will lose its tenderness and juiciness. Depending on the size, cooking time is different, but usually it takes 2-3 minutes. How can you tell if shrimp are cooked? It is very easy. Shrimp are ready when their color turns from grey to orange with bright red tails.
Shrimp recipes – Classic Prawn Cocktail
- 1 lb/ 450 g cooked king prawns
- 4 oz/ 125 g iceberg lettuce, shredded thinly
For the Marie Rose sauce:
- 6 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Few dashes Tabasco, to taste
- Few large pinches paprika, optional
To make the Marie Rose sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Cover and chill until needed.
Lay the prawns out on some kitchen paper and dab dry. Put half the prawns into a large bowl, add the shredded lettuce, half of the sauce and mix well to combine.
Divide the prawn mixture in serving glasses. Finish with the remaining prawns and spoon over the rest of the sauce.
Serve with lemon wedges.
Shrimp recipes – Salad with Prawn and Avocado
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 8 cups greens (arugula, spinach, or spring mix)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or 1/2 orange
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 ounces sliced almonds, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, onion, parsley, and pinch of red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture into a large skillet set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half.
Add the shrimp, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover, and cook until they turn pink, about 5 minutes.
Toss the shrimp with the salad greens in a large bowl.
Lightly drizzle with olive oil, and if desired, some of the sauce remaining from the shrimp with a generous squeeze of citrus, and toss lightly to coat.
Add the avocado, shallots and sliced almonds, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Shrimp Recipes – Mediterranean Style Prawns
- 1 ¼ lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (if frozen, thaw first)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper and ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- ⅓ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley leaves
Pat shrimp dry and place it in a large bowl. Add flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, coriander, cayenne, and sugar. Toss until shrimp is well-coated.
In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly, until fragrant. Add bell peppers. Cook another 4 minutes or so, tossing occasionally.
Add the shrimp. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes, broth, white wine and lemon juice. Cook for 5 minutes or so until shrimp turns bright orange. Finally, stir in chopped fresh parsley.
Creamy Tuscan Style Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp, thawed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped or julienned
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Handful fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the flour and cook for about a minute, stirring until smooth.
Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Stir in the cream, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the shrimp and cook for around 5 minutes or until they’re cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened, taking care not to overcook them.
Add the spinach and basil and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
Honey Garlic Grilled Shrimps Recipe
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water
In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, honey, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
Reserve ¼ cup marinade for brushing onto shrimp while grilling.
In a large bowl, toss shrimp with remaining marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate. Allow the shrimp to sit in the marinade for 15 minutes up to 1 hour. Do not allow the shrimp to sit in the marinade for longer than 60 minutes or the acid will begin to cook the shrimp.
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
While the grill is preheating, remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread on skewers.
Grill shrimp until pink and opaque, about 2-3 minutes per side, brushing with reserved ¼ cup marinade before and after flipping the skewers.
Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Tomato Spinach Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 8 oz (220g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 oz (170g) fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz (220g) pene or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons high quality olive oil, optional
Add two tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet, on medium low heat.
Add shrimp, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and salt in the skillet.
Cook on medium heat until shrimp is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove shrimp and set aside.
In the same skillet, add chopped tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, spinach, and chopped garlic.
Cook on medium heat about 3-5 minutes until spinach wilts a little and tomatoes release some of their juice.
Remove from heat and adjust seasoning, if needed. Cover with a lid and keep off heat.
Cook pasta according to directions.
Drain pasta and add to the skillet with tomatoes and spinach. Reheat on low heat, mix everything well, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Add shrimp and serve.
Bacon and Shrimp Corn Chowder Recipe
- 4-5 Bacon Strips
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Onion
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 3 tablespoon Flour
- 1 pound Shrimps, Cleaned and deveined
- 1.5 cup Fresh Corn Kernels
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Chili flakes
- 2.5 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Cream
Cook bacon pieces until crispy. Keep aside. Discard any extra fat from the pan.
To the same pan add butter, followed by chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion has softened.
Stir in the flour. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Slowly add half of the stock and continue stirring with a spatula with the other hand to avoid any lumps.
The mixture will start to thicken fast, pour in the rest of the stock, and keep stirring until there are no lumps. Let it come to a slight boil.
Stir in corn kernels, Shrimp, herbs, and seasoning. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in cream and crispy bacon.
Serve with crusty bread.
Fried Rice and Shrimp Recipe
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1″/2,5 cm piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb /450g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3 c. cooked white rice
- 1 c. frozen peas, defrosted and drained
- Sriracha, for serving
- 2 tbsp. Sliced green onions
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar if using, ginger, and garlic.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add carrots and peppers and sauté for about, 3 minutes, then add shrimp and cook for 4 minutes or until pink and opaque, stirring occasionally. Remove shrimp and vegetables from skillet and wipe out pan.
Add remaining oil to skillet, then add beaten eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until curds begin to form, about 30 seconds. Push eggs to the side of the skillet, then add rice and soy sauce mixture. Stir to combine everything in the skillet, then press rice into an even layer and let cook undisturbed until a golden crust forms where the rice touches the bottom of the skillet, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in cooked shrimp and vegetables, as well as the peas, and toss until all ingredients are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Serve topped with green onions and Sriracha.