Chocolate Easter Cake – 3 Recipes for Show Stopping Festive Dessert to Try for the Holiday
Easter is coming very, very soon! It is the time when we gather with family and friends around the festive table to enjoy the traditional Easter lunch. Have you already decided on the menu? What about the dessert? Chocolate cake is everyone’s favorite dessert for every holiday and every occasion. Here are 3 fantastic chocolate Easter cake recipes that will delight everyone around the table!
Table of Contents
How to Decorate a Chocolate Easter Cake?
Let’s be honest! Nothing better has been invented that can beat a delicious chocolate cake! Yes, we are sure that there will be deviled eggs, that you will bake and decorate Easter cookies or other sweet treats, yet when it comes to something really festive and delicious, a chocolate Easter cake is a show stopper! In addition, chocolate works with a huge number of products and allows you to combine them in different ways. To make the cake look really pretty, it needs to be decorated for the festive occasion. How can you decorate a chocolate Easter cake? Let your imagination run wild! Combine fresh strawberries with chocolate eggs, make a chocolate nest and fill it with sweet colored eggs, arrange a composition from chocolate bunnies and eggs, add chocolate shavings or nuts, etc.
Easy Chocolate Easter Cake with Buttercream Filling Recipe
For the Cake:
- 8 oz/225 g butter, softened
- 8 oz/225 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 8 oz/225 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1¾ oz/50 g cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
For the Buttercream:
- 7 oz/200 g butter, softened
- 14oz/400 g confectioner’s sugar
- 1¾ oz/50 g cocoa powder
For the Decoration:
- Mini Eggs
- Creme Eggs
Prepare the cake:
- Pre heat the oven to 350F /180C. Grease 2 x 7inch (18cm) round cake tins with butter. Put baking paper on the bottom of each tin and grease it.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat until combined.
- Add half the flour and fold it gently.
- Add the baking powder and cocoa powder, fold in.
- Finally, add the remaining flour.
- If necessary, add the milk to loosen the cake batter.
- Divide the batter into the cake tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check with a skewer, if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Leave the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes then place them on cooling rack to cool completely.
Prepare the buttercream and decorate the cake:
- Mix the soft butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder with an electric beater.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread half of the buttercream on top. Place the other cake on top and cover the top and sides with the remaining buttercream.
- Decorate with the chocolate eggs.
Chocolate Easter Nest Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz/225 g semisweet chocolate, melted
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 7 oz/190g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- small candy Easter eggs, for decoration
- Pre heat the oven to 350F /180C. Grease a 9-in/22 cm springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Mix well and add gradually to the butter mixture, gently folding in.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack until completely cool.
- Cut a large strip of baking paper (29×5-inch/ 75×12 cm) and fold it in half lengthwise.
- Spread melted chocolate evenly alongside the edge making a wave. Set aside until chocolate begins to set but is still pliable (10-30 minutes).
- Wrap the chocolate strip around the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with baking paper and drizzle the remaining melted chocolate. Chill and peel off the paper. Break the chocolate into 2- to 3-inch/5-7 cm twigs.
- Prepare the filling. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add a small amount of the hot filling into the egg yolks and stir. Add the egg yolk mixture to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Take a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over water. Let it soak for 5 minutes. Stir the gelatin into the custard until dissolved. Then add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the cream until soft peaks form and fold into the chocolate custard.
- Spoon the cream on top of the cake, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the paper strip from the side of the cake and place the chocolate twigs on top to shape a nest.
- Fill the nest with candy eggs.
Chocolate Easter Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the chocolate cake:
- 1.5 cups/ 220 grams all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups/ 300 grams caster sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup/ 250 milliliters milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup/120 milliliters vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup/160 milliliters boiling water
- ¼ cup/ 40 grams unsweetened cocoa
For the cream cheese filling/frosting:
- 8 oz/240 grams cream cheese
- 8 oz/240 grams mascarpone
- ¼ cup/ 40 grams powdered sugar
- 4 oz/ 120 grams dark chocolate
- mini chocolate eggs
- chocolate shavings
Prepare the chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch/ 20-centimeter cake pan with baking paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and mix together until combined. Pour in boiling water in 3 stages, stirring well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate cream cheese filling/frosting:
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream cheese, mascarpone and sugar until smooth.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Assemble the chocolate cake. Cut the cake in half and spread half of the chocolate cheese cream.
- Place the top part and cover the top and the sides with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings and mini chocolate eggs.