Formica is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of decorative high-pressure laminates (HPL). The high-quality Formica laminate is perhaps the most widely used type of finishing materials. The company works in close cooperation with leading designers and manufacturers and develops new products in response to a constant consumer demand.
Formica is a brand name and if you are planning to replace your old countertop it is worth considering a high quality laminate worktop. The worktop is an element of design, without which it is impossible to imagine not only modern kitchen furniture, but the entire interior of the kitchen. It is the main element of the working area, it has a special place and significance, so consequently, the countertop has to meet special requirements. We selected some kitchen designs with Formica countertops for you and will look at the pros and cons of the product.
Why choose Formica countertops – advantages and disadvantages of laminate worktops
Formica countertops have a lot of advantages. Formica Group is the inventor and the largest HPL manufacturer and their products not only meet modern requirements, but also can take your kitchen to a whole new level. Why choose a Formica countertop? What are the advantages and the considerations that you need to know? We shall give you the answers so that you can make the best choice.
On the first place Formica countertops are much more affordable than natural stone.
- Laminate countertops are durable and easy to maintain. They easily withstand everyday use without problem;
- The surface is non-porous and does not require sealing.
- Formica sheets come in a variety of texture and colors so you can choose any trendy shade and pattern or opt for natural stone, granite or solid wood look without the high price tag;
- The options to customize your countertop, choose a matte or gloss finish, the edge type, etc. gives you the opportunity to have a trendy and stylish countertop;
- A Formica worktop is easy to maintain and does not require special chemicals for cleaning.
However, we have to point out the disadvantages of laminate countertops as well.
- The material is not as durable as natural stone;
- Laminate countertops can be easily damaged or cut. The surface is susceptible to scratches from sharp knives so you should always use a cutting board;
- A very important consideration is that these counters are not resistant to heat. Hot objects could leave a mark and even melt the top;
- Although the daily maintenance does not require anything more than a damp cloth, you have to avoid using abrasive cleaners which may cause marks and damage the surface;
- Even high quality products will look old and worn out with time and if damaged, it is almost impossible to replace just a part, you will need to replace the whole countertop;
- In terms of added value to the property, a laminate countertop will add less value than natural stone.
Despite the cons of laminate countertops, we have to say, that they are very practical and you will have a good looking, durable countertop at an affordable price.