Who doesn’t love wearing a hat in the summer? They’re stylish, practical, and the perfect accessory to help elevate your outfit! While wearing the hat is pretty straightforward, managing all the hair underneath can be quite tricky. We know the struggle, and we found the solution! Whether you have short, medium, or long hair – we’ve got you covered! Here are some of the trendiest hat hairstyles to try out in 2023!
Table of Contents
Hat Hairstyles for Short Hair
The benefit of having short hair is that it’s super easy to style. You want to wear a hat? Just put it on and you’re good to go! Well… not exactly. If you’re someone with thick or curly hair, you’ve probably thrown a tantrum or two over trying to make a hat look good on your head. It’s time to say ‘goodbye’ to the Mad Hatter look and say ‘hello’ to your new favorite hat-friendly hairstyles!
Low Back Pigtails
These cute pigtails are the perfect quick under-hat hairstyle for when you need to keep your hair away from your face. Pull out a few strands at the front for a face-framing effect and voilà! All you need is two hair elastic bands and your hair will be set in place all day long!
Front Side Braids
Another great 00s-inspired hairstyle is the mini front braids. They’re super quick to braid and because of their size, you don’t even need hair ties to secure them! They will give a nice frame to your face and take away some of the bulkiness for those with thick hair!
Headscarf Under Hat
Wearing a headscarf or a bandana under your hat is not only incredibly flattering but also practical! Firstly, the scarf will help keep your hair in place and give it a more put-together look. Secondly, the scarf will absorb all the sweat and excess oil and keep your hat fresh and clean after every wear! And lastly, you can use the scarf as a detail that adds a pop of color and ties your whole outfit together!
Read also: Summer Hats for Petite Women – How to Choose & Style the Perfect Hat to Suit Your Small Frame in 2023
Hat Hairstyles for Medium Hair
Medium-length hair has been long perceived as one of the more awkward stages in the hair growth process. However, it has two huge advantages that are not spoken enough of! It suits every face shape and hair texture and is incredibly easy to style! Here’s how you can make the most of it under a hat!
Classic Low Space Buns
You’re in a rush and need to quickly sort your hair out? We got you! The space buns are coming to the rescue! They are not only super quick to make, but also look great under any type of hat! To make sure that they’re going to stay in place throughout the whole day, we suggest you apply a medium-hold hair spray.
A more elevated, editorial-like version of the space buns that you can try out is the shoelace buns! At first glance, they look quite complex, but in reality, they take only 5 minutes to make! These are the steps you need to follow to get this look:
- Part your hair down the middle in two sections.
- Tie each section in a pigtail.
- Split each pigtail into two sections.
- Take the two strands from one pigtail and tie them in a knot the same way you would tie a shoelace.
- Secure the knot with bobby pins.
- Continue to tie knots until you reach the ends of your hair.
- Tie the final knot at the bottom with a clear hair elastic band.
- Repeat the same process with the other pigtail.
Baseball Cap Claw-Clip Hairstyle
Ladies, let me introduce you to the latest TikTok viral hair trend – the baseball cap claw-clip hairstyle! It’s the perfect hack for giving your hair a break from the straining hair ties and tight ponytails! It looks quite confusing in a picture, but it’s actually really simple to achieve! Here’s how you do it:
- Begin with brushing your hair to make sure there aren’t any knots.
- After you’ve brushed back your hair, put on the hat.
- Twist all your hair around your fingers while still keeping it in the back.
- As you’re holding the twist with one hand, slightly pull out a strand of hair through the hole on the back of the hat. Don’t pull out the whole piece of hair, but just enough to form a hole.
- Take the hair twist, push it through the right side of the hole you made with the hair strand, and slightly pull it with your fingers from the left side
- Pull the hair until you reach the middle section of the hair twist.
- Take the claw-clip and secure the hair in place.
Hat Hairstyles for Long Hair
When it comes to long hair, the styling options are endless! I have to admit that summer is when I experiment with new hairstyles the most because I can’t stand to have my hair down in this heat! As much as I love wearing hats, if my hair is not tied up in some way underneath, I feel like I’m getting one step closer to a heatstroke. Enough melodrama, let’s take a look at some of my favorite mane-taming hat hairstyles!
Low Bun in Bandana Scrunchie
The Devil is in the details and this styling is the proof! A simple low bun can be easily elevated with just one simple accessory! I myself am a big fan of headscarves and bandanas, and this beige bandana scrunchie hits just the spot! You can either let the loose bits hang, tie them in a bow, or even intertwine them in a braid!
Read also: Sleek Low Bun for Long Hair: The Hairstyle That Will Bring You Compliments!
Simple Side Braid
There’s nothing I love more than a quick and effective hairstyle! This side braid is both! Spoiler alert – it’s not even a real braid – these are knots! Wanna know how to achieve this look? Say no more!
- Part down your hair in the middle and then section it to one side.
- Tie the section in a ponytail with a clear hair elastic band.
- Take the bit above the hair elastic and separate it in half.
- Take the strand below the elastic and flip it inward and through the opening you made above the elastic.
- Put another hair tie an inch or two below the first one and repeat the process until you reach the ends of your hair.
- Tie the hair at the bottom with a clear elastic or a hair tie of choice if you want to add a pop of color.
- Pull the separate sections apart to add some volume.
The bubble braids are a hairstyle that a lot of people have a love-hate relationship with. I personally find it to be quite effective when styled with the right outfit! It’s playful, quirky and best of all – super easy to make! Next time you want to spruce up your appearance a little, why not give this fun hairdo a go?