How to repigment white hair? Is it possible to slow down the process?
As we age, it is normal to lose melanin in the hair, which causes the hair to turn gray. But as natural as this process is, every person experiences a real horror when they see their first white hair. What to do then? Can we repigment white hair? Or slow down the process? Discover our homemade tips to gradually regain your natural color. Go for it!
Table of Contents
Can white hair restore its color?
We’re sorry to say, but despite claims made online and by product sellers, it’s not possible to make white hair disappear if the cause is genetic. However, you can slow down the process and that is what repigmentation does.
How to repigment white hair?
Hair repigmentation consists of fighting the appearance of white hair, caused by stress, hormonal imbalance, poor diet, change in environment or lifestyle, excessive use of chemical products or simply by the natural aging of organism. In other words, this method extends the period of melatonin synthesis. This is why it is advisable to start applying it before the first white hair appears, i.e. around 30-35 years of age. Are you already over this age and have a lot of white hair? You can always try to repigment your hair to slow down the aging process and gradually regain your natural color. Here’s how to do it using only natural treatments:
- Mix 4 g of iron sulphate with 250 ml of red wine. Use it to pigment your hair every morning for 10 consecutive days. Leave to react for about 10 minutes before washing your hair with lukewarm water.
- Every other day, before going to bed, massage your hair and scalp with coconut oil. The next morning, wash your hair as usual.
- Make a paste of 80 g of curry leaves and 170 g of yoghurt. Apply it to your hair and scalp, then wash it off after 30 minutes. Apply this mask two to three times a week.
- Avocado is also very beneficial for gray hair, but not only. You can make an avocado mask for your face, but don’t forget to apply it to your scalp as well. Leave it on for 30 minutes before washing your hair. Repeat the process 3 times a week.
How to produce melanin for hair?
In addition, melanin production can be stimulated with the help of different essential oils according to Ayurvedic principles. A proper diet is also necessary.
Which is the best oil to fight white hair?
Essential oils are very powerful natural products that you can use in your weekly routine to slow down the aging process. Choose one of the following oils and add a few drops to your shampoo, conditioner or hair mask.
- Tea tree essential oil: It is antibacterial and can prevent gray hair, dandruff and make your hair long and shiny.
- Bhringraj Oil: It has properties that darken hair color and is very useful to stop premature graying.
- Hibiscus oil: full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, this plant is ideal for stimulating the natural production of melanin.
- Orange essential oil: as a citrus fruit, it is loaded with vitamin C that prevents hair graying. In addition, it stimulates hair growth, makes hair follicles stronger and, therefore, prevents your hair from breaking.
Foods that stimulate melanin production
You already know this, but we will repeat it. What you eat determines the way you look. So if you don’t want to see white hair yet and repigment white hair, include these products in your menu:
- Iron-rich foods : spinach, broccoli, quinoa, tofu, dark chocolate, fish, bananas, tomatoes, soybeans, lentils, nuts and seeds such as cashews, peanuts.
- Copper-rich foods: leafy green vegetables, nuts and seeds, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, dark chocolate, avocados.
- Foods rich in antioxidants: beans, blueberries, leafy green vegetables, artichokes, dark chocolate.
- Foods containing vitamins A, C and E: Cheese, fatty fish, milk, eggs, yogurt, meat, nuts and seeds.