Homemade cupcakes, baked with love, are always tastier! We selected some quick and easy DIY cupcake toppers which will help you decorate your homemade pastry. Cupcakes are, in fact, a small-sized cake, which is baked in a small thin paper, silicone or aluminum cups and are designed to serve one person.
There are thousands of cupcake recipes – with chocolate, fresh fruits, savory ones with vegetables – and this is one of the most popular treat for any festive occasion – weddings, New Year, corporate parties, baby showers, bridal showers, Valentine’s day and of course, kids’ birthday parties.
Adding a decorative topper on a cupcake makes it not only more attractive, but adds to the festive appearance of the table. Many shops offer decorated cupcakes but if you want to bake them yourself, you need to think of a suitable decoration, depending on the occasion or the theme. There are many printables available on the Internet and you can find a huge variety of toppers in stores or you can craft them by yourself following these easy tutorials.
Quick and easy DIY cupcake toppers – how to make watercolor hearts?
Quick and easy DIY cupcake toppers are ideal for bridal shower party, wedding, Valentine’s day, Mother’s day and any other occasion when you want to express your affection towards the special people in your life. Follow these simple steps and decorate your cupcakes in a matter of minutes.
What you need:
- Watercolor paper
- Watercolor paints
- Paint brush
- Use pink and purple watercolors and paint long brushstrokes. Let dry.
- Draw hearts on the back of the paper and cut out. You can use a cookie cutter to line the hearts.
- Tape toothpicks to the back of the hearts and place on the top of cupcake.
Quick and easy DIY cupcake toppers – how to make paper carnations tutorial
- crepe paper streamers in pinks and green
- pinking shears
- Cut a 16” (40 cm.) piece of pink streamer. Fold in half, fold again, and fold again a third time.
- Cut the top edge with pinking shears and cut fringe into the streamer.
- Apply glue all along the uncut edge. Start rolling the fringe around the tip of a toothpick. Carefully ruffle the flower.
- Cut out green leaves and attach with glue to the base of the carnation.
- Place on the top of cupcake.
Easy festive DIY glitter star cupcake toppers for New Year or birthday
- glitter scrapbooking paper,
- bamboo skewers or toothpicks (popsicle sticks)
- Draw stars on the back of the glitter paper and cut them out. You can help yourself with a cookie cutter.
- Tape the start to the toothpicks (skewers should be cut to the desired size)
- Place on the top of your festive cupcakes.
Cute DIY flag cupcake toppers ideas
Flags that are the perfect for decoration for a marine themed wedding or bridal party, 4th of July party, kids’ birthdays, etc. We will show you two options to choose from.
- wooden skewers
- paper of different colors
- paper punching machine.
The first option is to make a banner of small flags fixed on a thread that is stretched between two skewers. Look at the photo tutorial for step-by-step instructions.
The second option is to use only one skewer and arrange the flags on a string so that they resemble a boat sail. Follow these easy step-by-step instructions on the photo and decorate your cupcakes!
Super cool and easy DIY balloon cupcake toppers
- Paper clips
- Double sided tape
- Wash the paper clips in hot water and straighten them out so that they make one straight line. To give them a little bit of curve, twirl them around your finger.
- Cut out balloons using a template. Keep in mind that you will need two for each topper. Optionally, you can make heart shaped balloons which are suitable for Valentine’s day, wedding or bridal shower party, Mother’s day treat, etc.
- Use double stick tape on the balloon and tape the paper clip onto the bottom of the balloon, then press the second balloon on top so that the paper clip is in between the balloons.
- Place the balloons on the top of your cupcakes.
Easy DIY pom-pom cupcake toppers tutorial
- Tissue paper
- 2-inch (5 cm.) circle craft punch
- lollipop sticks or wooden skewers, cut to size
- double stick tape
- Fold tissue paper so that it has 8 or 16 layers and punch out 2-inch (5 cm.) circles using the craft punch. You shall need about 30 circles for each pom-pom topper.
- Thread the needle, double-knot the end of the thread and sew through the center of a stack of 30 tissue paper circles.
- Knot the thread on the opposite side of the stack as close to the tissue paper as possible.
- Space 8 cuts evenly without reaching the center.
- Attach the circles to a stick using double-sided tape.
- Separate and bend the tissue layers to give them a fluffy look.
- Place the pom-poms on the top of your cupcakes.
Super easy party hat cupcake toppers tutorial
- cupcake liners of various colors
- mini pom-poms,
- glue gun
- Start folding the liners in half forming them into a cone shape. Seal the cone with a tiny line of glue.
- Add a little glue on a pom-pom and attach it to the top of the cone. Optionally you can glue each mini party hat to a toothpick.
- Place them on the cupcakes and you are ready for a party!
DIY Paper seashell cupcake toppers
- White card stock paper
- Watercolor paints
- Paint brush
- Paint water
- White pearl beads or other beads
- Scallop edged scissors
- Regular scissors
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Paint the card stock paper in blue with watercolor paint and let dry.
- To cut seashell shapes, simply cut a half circle with the scallop edge scissors (you can also use pinking shears)
- Cut a slit in the bottom center.
- Place one end of toothpick it in the corner of the slit.
- Glue one bottom corner of the slit, pull the other side over and fix with the glue. Make sure to hold the toothpick so it stays in the corner.
- Add another dab of glue on the corner of the slit and the top of the toothpick and add your pearl bead.
- Place the seashells on your cupcakes.
Original DIY Chinese paper lantern cupcake toppers
- red (or pink) cardstock paper
- gold wire
- gold beads
- metallic gold gel pen
- gold embroidery thread
- gold eye pins
- gold jump rings
- Print out (or draw) a small cube template. Trace it on cardstock and cut out.
- Draw geometric designs with a gold gel pen on the outside of the paper.
- Fold up the cube and glue it. Let dry.
- Poke holes through the top and bottom with a needle. Thread an eye pin through the cube, add a gold bead on top and close the pin with a loop.
- Make a small tassel from gold embroidery thread and attach it to the bottom of the eye pin with the help of a jump ring.
- Cut a length of gold wire and bend it in the shape of a candy cane. Make a loop so that you can hang the paper lantern on it.
- Stick the paper lanterns in your cupcakes.
Cute DIY clown cupcake toppers
- small wooden beads
- black and pink pen (or pink stamp pad)
- pencil with eraser,
- mini cupcake liners
- mini pom-poms
- cardstock scraps,
- hole punch
- glue gun
- toothpicks (skewers, cut to size or lollypop sticks)
- Apply a small dab of hot glue to the inside of a wooden bead. Insert a stick and hold until the glue sets.
- Use a fine black pen to draw two dots for eyes and a half circle for a smile.
- Use the eraser side of a pencil to stamp two rosy cheeks with pink ink.
- Punch out (or cut out with scissors or pinking shears) three different 1” (2 cm.) circles.
- Punch the center of the circles with a smaller size hole punch.
- Slide three circles onto the stick to create the clown’s collar.
- Fold a mini cupcake liner in half, then carefully twist the liner into a hat shape and secure it with hot glue.
- Attach a mini pom-pom to the tip of the hat with a little hot glue.
- Glue the hat to the wooden beam.
- Place clowns on cupcakes!