Christmas is one of the most important holidays for Christian families all over the world. This is the time when children hang stockings on the fireplace waiting for Christmas day when the stockings will be full of treats! We shall tell you how you can make cool DIY Christmas stockings – for your children, family or friends.
Table of Contents
DIY Christmas stockings from felt
When it comes DIY Christmas stockings, it’s time to ditch the old and introduce the new. Instead of buying something expensive, opt for these homemade felt decorations inspired by nature.
What you need:
- Felt: 70 cm/26 inches each white, red and different shades of green
- Matching threads
- sewing machine
- craft glue
How to sew Christmas stockings from felt: instructions and template
- Enlarge and cut out the stencil: You can enlarge the stencil manually. You will then need a colored pencil, a ruler and graph paper. In each square, draw the same lines as in the corresponding square on the template. Another, easier way to enlarge is to use a Xerox.
- For each boot, cut 2 felt boot pieces for the front and back: From a contrasting color of felt, cut a 36cm x 18cm/15 x 7inch piece for the cuff. For the small decorations you should cut out 3 pieces of felt in the chosen color. Cut a 2.5 x 20 cm/1 x 8 inch strip in the chosen color for the hanging loops.
- Pin the stocking along the curved edges front to back (right sides together). Tuck the loop into the top, back corner of the DIY Christmas stockings, the cut edges meeting. Sew around the boot, leaving only the top edge open. Cut into the curves and turn the fabric inside out.
- Pin and sew the short ends of the cuffs together to form a tube. Fold the tube in half and hand pin to the top edge of the cuff.
- Place the cuff into the top edge of the stocking and place the cuff seam onto the back seam of the DIY stocking – pin and sew. Then fold the cuff outwards around the top edge of the stocking. Trim the edge with scissors.
- Glue on the decorations.
If you want to get an idea how to sew a Christmas stockings, you can also watch the following video.
Creative Christmas craft ideas: How to make Santa’s boots from plastic bottles?
We always have a recycling bin full of plastic bottles. Why not use these for a fun Christmas decoration? The little boot is just too cute for words. You can fill it with things like pine cones, holly or cookies for Santa. Or you can simply display it on your mantel alongside your other decorations.
We think it’s great that you can do this project together with the family or with your children. While it’s a little more elaborate than other Christmas decorations, that’s nothing compared to the smiles your kids will have when the boot is complete and proudly displayed.
- Empty Plastic Bottle
- wooden stick
- Red spray paint
- silver band
- cotton batting
- White transparent tape
- Red ribbon
- White ribbon
- Christmas ornaments
- hot glue gun
DIY Santa boots: instructions
- Remove the label from an empty bottle and cut off the top and bottom of the bottle. Discard the top part with the lid.
- Glue the bottom to a piece of cardboard with the bottom facing up and the tube part next to it so there is little or no space between the two parts.
- Cut off the excess cardboard around the edge of the plastic bottle pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix a small amount of plaster according to package directions. You need about 1 cup.
- Spread the prepared plaster over the bottle pieces with a wooden stick to create a texture, covering the bottom piece and the tall piece on all sides, but not the top. Set the boot aside and let it dry.
- Once the plaster has dried, spray paint all sides with red spray paint and set aside to dry.
- When the paint has dried you can use glue to attach a piece of glitter tape around the bottom of the boot.
- Use cotton balls or cotton batting and tape them around the top of the boot.
- Tie a small bow with clear ribbon and tie the middle with plain white ribbon.
- Add a small Christmas bow to the center of the clear bow and tie both together with white ribbon. Glue this to the front of the boot between the two pieces.
- Add more Christmas-themed embellishments around the boot if you like.
Use your DIY Christmas stockings to decorate your living room for the holidays – it’s the perfect homemade Christmas decoration for your home.