Do you like creating things with your own hands? Do you prefer to use natural materials for your beautiful DIY projects? We really hope you answered positively to these two questions! Today, we suggest you take a look at our easy version of how to make a wreath from tree trimmings! We’ll give you some ideas on how to decorate it with natural materials, so you get a beautiful decoration for your door that you’ll be proud of! We have also prepared a DIY Christmas wreath idea for you to delight your family with! Without wasting any more time, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
How to make a wreath from tree trimmings?
The first thing you should do is to go for a walk in nature if you don’t have your own garden. The idea is to look for pliable twigs, ones that are easy to work with and can bend without breaking. What are the most suitable types of trees for our purposes? You can look for silver birch twigs, willow branches, or you can use grapevine cuttings. Let’s now see what is needed for the wreath and how to make it!
Materials and tools
- thin, flexible tree trimmings about 20-24 inches (50-60 cm) long
- soft wire about 40 inches (1 m) long – for a wreath about 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter
- natural materials (acorns, pine cones, or others of your choice)
- hot glue gun or other strong, clear glue
- white acrylic spray paint (optional)
1. To start with, soak the branches you have chosen in water for a few hours. This will make them even more flexible. Dry them before using them for the wreath.
2. Form a circle (the base of the wreath) out of soft but thick wire.
3. Then, start weaving the prepared twigs into the wire ring.
4. When you have woven in enough twigs, and you are happy with the shape of the wreath, you can paint it with white acrylic spray paint (or another color of your choice). This step is totally optional, and you can skip it if you’re going for a natural look of the wreath!
5. Finally, using a hot glue gun, attach the decorations of your choice (pine cones, acorns or other).
How to make a Christmas wreath?
Who doesn’t love to decorate their home for Christmas and New Year? One of the signs that the holidays are approaching is actually the Christmas wreath. Whether it’s made from natural materials such as fir branches, pine cones, tree trimmings or rope, when you hang a wreath on your front door, you are inviting the Christmas spirit inside. So far so great, but how do you make a Christmas wreath with your own hands? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered once again! Here’s a lovely Christmas wreath idea that will hopefully inspire you to create one yourself this year!
Our suggestion is simple, but very stylish and pretty. Anyone looking at the door of your home will know that there is a real festive atmosphere inside! We don’t have to go overboard with the decorations on the wreath for it to bring us good cheer, right? In fact, our maxim is ‘’Less is more’’!
What will you need to make a Christmas wreath?
- greenery (pine branches or twigs from other conifers of your choice)
- soft wire (thicker)
- hot glue gun
- ribbon of your choice
- cinnamon sticks
- pine cones
- other decoration of your choice
How to make a Christmas wreath step by step?
You don’t need any unique skills to make a beautiful Christmas wreath! Prepare all the necessary materials and follow our detailed instructions below!
1. To begin with, with a soft, thick wire, form a circle with а diameter of your choice. This will be the base of your wreath.
2. Take one of the conifer branches you have prepared and wrap it around the wire. Use thread in a color that is not noticeable (dark green for example) and attach the twig to the wire. Repeat this process until the entire wreath is filled with greenery. Stop when you like how it looks!
3. Once you have a lovely wreath base, it’s time to decorate! It’s easiest to use a hot glue gun and simply glue a few pine cones in random places on the wreath. Don’t aim too hard for symmetry!
4. Form a bundle of cinnamon sticks by tying them with a ribbon of your choice. Find a spot in the wreath to put them, too.
5. Feel free to add any other decoration of your choice – it’s your creation after all!
6. Finally, finish the wreath by attaching a beautiful festive ribbon to be the highlight! You can add more ribbons, smaller ones, if you wish.
7. Your wonderful DIY Christmas wreath is ready and waiting to be hung on your front door to delight loved ones and strangers alike!