Low-Maintenance Balcony Garden Ideas: Saving Your Time Tranquil Urban Green Spaces
Having a balcony garden is a wonderful way to bring a colorful and foliage piece of nature into your urban living space. But how to care for it in your busy day, having only a few spare minutes for your plants? Luckily, there are some designs of low-maintenance balcony garden ideas, which allow you to enjoy a tranquility of your green space without the constant upkeep. We are going to show you them…
Table of Contents
Tranquilling Low-Maintenance Balcony Garden Ideas
- Calming vertical garden: Maximize vertical space by creating wall-mounted planters or trellises. Then add a variety of climbing plants like ivy, morning glories, or creeping figs to reach a lush green wall. You may also place some hanging planters for cascading flowers. This is a place-saving solution, which brings a calming, rich in color and greenery feel to your balcony.
- Paradise hanging garden: Design a suspended garden heaven, adding hanging planters and baskets. Then combine a variety of flowering plants, and trailing vines with ferns to reach a cascading view. This approach decorates uniquely your balcony, while the flowers and other plants grow downwards, expanding in all directions.
- Mini Zen-inspired garden: Inspire from the simplicity of a Zen-minimalistic garden design. Let you design in neutral colors and clean lines, with just a few suitable plants to build a tranquil space. Use features like pebbles, a mini fountain, and a place for meditation to have a serene surrounding. Then arrange low-maintenance plants like bamboo, peace lilies, or snake plants for a more calming feeling.
- Succulent feeling: Experiment with a modern low-maintenance balcony garden, with a succulent-themed view. Pick a variety of colorful and interestingly shaped succulents, and plant them in shallow containers or wooden crates. Succulents don’t need to be watered often, and thrive well in sunny spots, which is an ideal possibility for a hassle-free balcony garden.
- Salads or herbs tower: Use the maximum possibility of your balcony space with a herb or a salad tower. Combine a number of graduated pots or stackable planters to grow different herbs or salad greens. This design not only looks rich and beautiful, but it’s easy to do the harvesting. You may place the tower near the kitchen for easier access.
Which Low-Maintenance Balcony Flowers to Grow?
All pretty low-maintenance balcony garden ideas should include a number of flowers to bring color and elegance to this outdoor area. When considering your plants’ selection, it’s essential to search for varieties that are resilient, low care, and stable in various weather conditions. There is a short list of such flowers:
- Geraniums: Famous for their long-lasting bright blooms and resistance to drought, they feel well in partial sun with minimal pruning.
- Petunias: These colorful, showered in trumpet-shaped flowers plants, are easy to care for. All they need is full sun to thrive in their best, as well as a regular watering and occasional deadheading.
- Marigolds: Liked for their cheerful bright colors and pest-repelling qualities, they are a great choice for a low-maintenance balcony garden. Marigolds prefer a lot of sunlight and don’t fade, being watered rarely.
What Herbs are Easy for Balcony?
Herbs are some of the easiest plants to grow on a balcony as a flavorful addition to your culinary endeavors. They are a typical low-maintenance plants, which require minimal space, and pots or hanging containers are ideal for them. There are some suitable examples:
- Basil: This popular balcony herb grows quickly, and abundantly. Basil prefers sunlight and regular watering.
- Mint: A tough herb, which can tolerate partial shade. Consider growing it in a separate pot, because if not, it will spread and overtake other plants in no time.
- Chives: They are enduring, and need minimal care. Chives should be placed in a pot with well-draining soil, and can be grown in both full sun or partial shade.
- Rosemary: The well-known for its aroma herb, feels best in sunny locations and well-draining soil. After establishing, it exhibits a good drought-tolerant possibility.
Which Vegetables are Easy to Grow in Balcony
Growing vegetables on your balcony is not only beneficial for your salads and cooked meals, but is also a fulfilling, low-maintenance balcony garden ideas experience. Here are suitable examples of easy-to-grow vegetables for your balcony garden:
- Tomatoes: Their compact varieties, like cherry tomatoes, are extremely suitable for balcony gardens. All their needs include ample sunlight, consistent watering, and support for their growing stems.
- Salad greens: The fast-growing leafy greens are perfect for container gardening, because they develop quickly in partial shade.
- Radishes: With their short growing season, they range among the easiest vegetables to grow in containers. Radishes can be grown only in cool weather.
- Peppers: Dwarf pepper varieties are well-suited for container gardens, needing full sun and frequent watering.