The appearance of gray hair has long been no reason to be ashamed or to hide it at all costs. On the contrary, gray hair is fashionable and even in demand these days! However, it’s really worth paying attention to your daily hair care routine if you’ve started to see yours turning gray. That is because the texture of your hair is changing, which means that the products you use need to change too. In today’s article, we’ll give you tips on how to best care for your hair and also answer the question “What shampoo is best for gray hair?”!
Table of Contents
What shampoo is best for gray hair? Key ingredients!
What happens when hair turns gray? The hair cells stop producing the pigment that provides its natural color. Along with it, the hair is deprived of certain nutrients. In general, you will notice that gray hair is drier and has a weaker texture. That’s why it’s so important to think about taking proper care of your gray hair! Undoubtedly the most important product is shampoo, and most likely the one you are using now will not have the same effect as it used to! The best shampoos for fine gray hair include several important and gentle ingredients:
- plant-based nourishing oils
- amino acids and moisturizers
- antioxidants that stop the oxidative process and protect the hair
- silver tones
- violet and blue undertones to eliminate yellowish shades
Which ingredients in shampoos should you avoid?
As already mentioned, gray hair is much weaker and needs special care. Some of the ingredients in shampoos would make it even worse, and you definitely don’t want that! That’s why it’s so important to choose the right shampoo for your hair! Now, let’s see which are the ingredients you should avoid:
- Sulfates, which inhibit the hair’s natural hydration, resulting in dry scalp and hair, and weakened hair follicles.
- Parabens, which can be extremely harmful to overall health.
- Silicones, which coat the hair shaft with a transparent layer and as a result the hair is not hydrated enough.
What happens if you use purple shampoo on gray hair?
Not only blondes can use purple shampoo. Using it, you will nourish your gray hair and yellow shades will be a thing of the past. Make sure you get the shiny silver hue and healthy, glossy hair you’ve been dreaming of! Very often, this type of shampoos also contain keratin, which has restorative properties on the hair!
10 best shampoos for gray hair
We have selected some of the best shampoos for gray hair on the market. They will provide much needed hydration and neutralize brassy tones to achieve beautiful and healthy hair! Take good care of your hair with some of the suggested shampoos below:
- Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo – This is one of the best yet budget-friendly options! The shampoo eliminates brassiness and is enriched with proteins that will strengthen your hair!
- Redken Color Extend Graydiant Purple Shampoo – It contains pure violet pigments that remove unwanted brass effect on hair. The citric acid is the key ingredient that repairs and strengthens the hair.
- Matrix Total Results So Silver Shampoo – It is designed for blonde and gray hair. The formula, containing neutralizing colorants, cleanses the hair and neutralizes unwanted yellow tints in blonde and gray hair. It enhances color brightness and adds shine.
- Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo – Amika – It not only removes yellow tones. but it doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients (sulfates or parabens). It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins that fight against hair damage.
- Cool Blonde Shampoo – dpHue – This product contains violet pigments that help neutralize brassiness in gray hair. The silk proteins and hibiscus flower extract strengthen hair, prevent breakage and increase brightness.
- Fekkai Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo – The best properties of this product are that it moisturizes the hair thanks to Salicylic Acid. It is free of silicones, sulfates, parabens and gluten. Another special plus is the amazing fresh scent of green apple and citrus!
- Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo – Aveda are known for their plant based hair care. The blue malva powder found in this product will neutralize yellow tints perfectly and strengthen the hair.
- Biolage ColorLast Purple Shampoo – The combination of pure purple pigments, orchid and fig will keep your hair healthy and nourished. The shampoo removes yellow тонес and deeply nourishes hair while also protecting it from breakage.
- Klorane Anti-Yellowing Shampoo – Among the best qualities of the shampoo are that it not only eliminates brassy hair shades, but it is also suitable for daily use as it does not dry out the hair ор scalp. It is extremely gentle on the hair and makes it healthy and strong!
- Oribe Silverati Shampoo – This luxurious shampoo by Oribe is especially designed for gray and white hair. The key ingredients are watermelon, edelweiss flower and lychee which protect the hair and preserve the natural keratin in it. They also don’t deprive it of its natural moisture and oils.