DIY Cut Up Shirt Ideas: Amazing Ways to Refashion Your Old Clothes and Give Them a Trendy New Look!
The summer season is almost here, and so is our desire to update our wardrobe. But does that mean that we should necessarily spend a certain amount of money on new clothes? Of course not! Especially when there are great ideas to give new life to our old shirts and blouses. If you too would like to look great, but save money at the same time, then this article will definitely be useful and of interest to you. We have prepared some great DIY cut up shirt ideas to spark your craft spirit so that you can achieve a trendy summer look solely through your own refashioning skills.
Table of Contents
Best DIY Cut Up Shirt Ideas
We have selected the easiest and trendiest DIY cut up shirt ideas for you to try right away. You’ll only need a pair of fabric scissors and an old T-shirt/tank top or any other blouse of your choice. Let’s get started!
Easy Ripped Back Idea
If you are in search of a cool fashion idea for your spring summer 2023 street outfit, you can totally give this DIY shirt a try! You’ll get an interesting ripped back effect that will definitely catch the eye, but it can also be very comfortable wearing it during the hot summer months. Follow the detailed steps below to find out how to get such an unusual and practical garment and at the same time not spend a lot of money:
- The first thing you need to do is to take the shirt and fold the back of it in half (horizontally).
- Lay it on a flat, hard surface to make your process easier, and what is more, by doing this, you’ll definitely get a better result.
- Start cutting the t-shirt by making straight lines. Stop somewhere an inch before the seam (or leave the cuts even shorter, depending on your preference for how much of the back you want to reveal).
- Keep making cuts, making sure they are parallel and equally distant for the most appealing result.
- Finally, we suggest you give your shirt a good stretch on the back, pulling it in opposite directions at the same time – we assure you it will look even better that way.
We also suggest you take a look at the video below to get a better idea of how to do this ”torn effect” and make sure there’s nothing complicated about it!
DIY Macrame-Inspired Tank Top
If you are a fan of inspirational macrame ideas for your home, you could also appreciate this fashion tutorial!
- Hang the tank top on a hanger or, if you prefer, lay it directly on a flat surface.
- Next, cut the entire hem at the bottom of the tank top.
- Proceed with the fringes. Normally, it is up to you to choose their length. Usually, the strips are cut from the bottom of the tank top to half the height of the top (below the chest). In any case, try to make the cuts more or less the same (the strips should be of a similar thickness).
- Once the front of the tank top is cut, we do the same with the back. To make it easier for you, we advise you to put a piece of cardboard between the front and the back of the top so that you don’t accidentally cut the fringes already cut.
- By the way, when you have a few last centimeters left, count the strips again because we need an even number of fringes.
- Then take the strands two by two and tie a knot. Do the same with all of the fringes.
- Next, it’s time to make a second row of knots. This time, take a strand that comes out of two different knots. Or in other words, if for the first row, we used band number 1 and 2 to make a knot, for the second row, we take band number 2 and 3 to make the first knot and so on. Therefore, here it is better to make a double knot.
- Thus, you can make as many rows as you want by alternating the pattern for the first row (band 1 and 2) with the pattern for the second (band 2 and 3).
4 Amazing Cut Up Shirt Ideas for Summer
As a finale, we decided to share with you 4 more easy and modern options on how you can cut up your old shirts and make them more stylish and on trend again. For this purpose we suggest you watch the video below, where you will find detailed instructions and also clearly see how you can achieve styles like cold shoulder shirt, gorgeous peekaboo back, plunging neckline, as well as an easy hem knot shirt. Best of all, all you’ll need is a pair of scissors and a little patience, but the results are sure to be worth it!
Also read: How to Upcycle Men’s Shirt? 10+ Creative DIY Ideas