DIY Halloween Decorations for the Balcony: These Cool Ideas Attract Everyone’s Attention
Of course, Halloween decorations indoors are definitely part of the holiday. But we also want everyone outside to be impressed by our spooky atmosphere. If you have a house, the garden, front yard and entrance area are perfect. But what if you live in an apartment? Then you still have the balcony! What could you make and/or use as Halloween decorations for the balcony?
Despite the lack of space, you still have a few options to create a spooky scene. Use walls, furniture and especially the railing for this purpose! Halloween 2023 is approaching: So start preparing!
Table of Contents
- Simple Railing Ideas
- Use the Ceiling for Hanging Halloween Decorations
- Halloween Decoration Ideas for the Balcony and Your Own Comfort
Simple Railing Ideas
Probably the easiest idea to decorate the railing is an artificial spider web, which you can purchase at any decorating store. But you can also hang up fine fabrics or thicker yarn. In any case, you should not neglect the balcony railing, because this is basically the most noticeable part of it.
- Spider webs (also in black)
- Flower arrangements in boxes in Halloween colors and with Halloween decorations
- Climbing skeletons, zombies or the like
- Witches sitting on the railing (instead of a broom)
- Creepy figures in white robes that stand out even at night
- Fairy lights
- Fog with a fog machine
- Giant spiders
- “Happy Halloween” lettering
DIY Spiders as a Halloween Decoration for the Balcony
Spiders are classics when it comes to Halloween decorations, especially in combination with webs. Since the balcony is quite far away, the spiders there should be as large as possible in order to attract attention. Even a single giant spider, often combined with smaller ones, will look spooky and attract everyone’s attention.
Making an oversized spider isn’t that difficult:
- Fill a black plastic bag with any filling material (e.g. newspaper) and tie it shut. The bag should not be overstuffed.
- Tie the bag at one point. One part should be smaller than the other to form the head and body.
- You can make the legs from pool noodles. Bend them and secure with packing tape.
Use the Ceiling for Hanging Halloween Decorations
Apart from the fact that there is usually a lack of space on the balcony and you have to keep the floor clear in order to access it comfortably, you wouldn’t really notice the decoration there from the street. The ceiling is much better.
Make Hanging Bats
To decorate your outdoor space for Halloween with bats, hang them individually from the ceiling or make a mobile that only requires you to pierce the ceiling once.
- Print any template you like (or combine them all together).
- Cut out the bat shape.
- Use the motif as a stencil and transfer the outlines onto black craft cardboard.
- Cut out the bat.
- Fold the paper at all wing tips to create a 3D effect.
- Punch a hole in the bat at the tail area and tie string to the hole.
- Hang the Halloween decorations for the balcony outside, preferably at different heights.
You can also use the same idea with ghosts, which don’t even need any folding. You can also use our templates for this. Of course, other typical Halloween motifs are also suitable.
Hanging witch hats also looks very cool. Simply thread a string through a needle, tie a knot at the end and poke through the top of the hat from below so that the thread comes out the top and can be used for hanging.
Read also: Halloween Ghost Lights Decorations – 3 Easy DIY Ideas Using Different Materials
Create Lighting Using Lanterns
This craft idea takes hardly any time and will give you beautiful Halloween lighting outside. Get ready-made lanterns and hang them with LED candles or attached to a string of lights. You can design the lanterns in any way you like, for example with stickers or a simple black or white net that you hang over them.
Halloween Decoration Ideas for the Balcony and Your Own Comfort
If you want to spend a little time on your balcony, of course, it is worth to decorate the seating area a little. To do this, you can place beautiful figures and quick Halloween decorations, spooky candles and arrangements on the table, arrange Halloween pumpkins and lanterns around the seating area and add one or two spider webs.
Place Dead Plants
You can combine fresh fall flowers with such “dead” plants on your table or another shelf on the balcony. These are simple artificial plants that you spray with black paint. The perfect last minute Halloween decoration for the balcony.
Original Halloween Pumpkin in Bright Color
It doesn’t always have to be the classic Halloween pumpkin with a creepy face. An outdoor pumpkin decoration in a bright color will also look stunning.
How to make the spooky Halloween decoration yourself:
- Spray paint the pumpkin in neon pink, green or yellow, for example.
- Glue bats in place once the paint has dried. You can also use the templates above for this purpose, but you should then print out the motifs in a reduced size.
- This time, just fold the bat in half or curve it a little to create an adhesive surface.
- You can also use small spiders instead.
Read also: Raised Salt Painting – Making Colorful Fall Pictures with Children (+ Free Templates)
Halloween Outdoor Decoration Ideas – Witch on the Bench
Fancy a little company? This outdoor Halloween decoration is also super easy. Buy a skeleton, a witch, a zombie or any other figure and place it on one of the chairs or your bench.
Skull with red fairy lights on the railing